Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle click paste on Wayland

Hi

I've recently been trying out Wayland (Gnome Shell) on my laptop and it does work, but it also has some rough edges. The biggest I've bumped into is that there is no primary clipboard on Wayland at all. It is a feature that I'm used to under X11 and I think we should have it on Wayland too. I found some discussions about this and it seems that developers haven't agreed whether they will implement selection copy and middle click paste (primary clipboard on X11) in Wayland protocol. Does anyone have any better information about this? How long I need to wait to get this? (hopefully not forever) I really miss this feature.

Other rough edges I've noticed are smaller: Two finger scrolling on xwayland programs seems to be faster (more accelerated maybe) than on native Wayland (gtk) programs. It's a bit annoying but I guess it's not that hard to fix. Also changing keyboard layout with shortcut key combination doesn't really change the layout if I have xwayland window focused. It does change the indicator on the panel but the layout doesn't change unless I move focus to somewhere else (like press super to open activities view). Third that I noticed is that changing Gnome Terminal's size from the menu is buggy. It changes back as soon as the window loses focus. Changing size by dragging works normally. Maybe I should search if there are bug reports for these and report the ones that aren't already reported, and I will do that on a bit better time.

Edit: Some more bugs that I've noticed: Touch screen doesn't work with xwayland programs (like Firefox). It does work with Aisleriot for example. Scrolling on Evince is not smooth. It looks like it doesn't update the window often enough to keep up and that could be "by design". I don't remember whether it was tearing on X11 but at least it didn't look weird. And the last a bit annoying thing which is about libinput (or Gnome if libinput allows this) is that I can't have both 'areas' and 'fingers' style buttons on my touch pad. I'm so used to click with three fingers to get middle click and to click the bottom right to get the right click. On X11 I get both.

Sorry, this post was meant to be about middle click clipboard (primary clipboard) missing on Wayland, but there seems to be many little things that could be better.
    Last edited by Tomin; 07 November 2015, 05:04 PM. Reason: Added some more rought edges of Wayland
Working...
X