No announcement yet.

Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 Ships With Experimental Wayland Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GNOME 3 Staging PPA has 3.18.x packages available.
    This PPA will be used to test uploads before they are uploaded to the main archive for the coming Release. === *WARNING* === The packages here have been deemed not ready for general use, they have known bugs and/or regressions, sometimes of a critical nature. Mostly things should run smoothly but be prepared to use ppa-purge, when you encounter issues! If they break your system, you get to keep both halves. === Installing === To use this PPA, you should enable the main GNOME3 PPA. - You n...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

People care about Unity because they care about Ubuntu which cares about Unity. 'Vanilla Ubuntu' could have been KDE, and then people would be caring a lot more about KDE.
      I use KDE daily for work. But at home, for surf, game and beginners who ask me I always go Unity.

I like it because It's very simple and works well (as Gnome used to before they got crazy...)
      So I care about Unity like many others, but not because of Ubuntu (I was on Linux before Ubuntu), just because it is a good product IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
        I personally like Unity - although I would prefer Canonical to support Wayland and avoid fragmentation on the display server protocol level.
        Personally (with my limited knowledge about the graphic stack), I think having both mir and wayland is a good thing... Indeed, having alternative is always a good thing. One of the problem with X was that it was the only alternative. So the people had no choice of using it and improving it, even if the underlying architecture was limited at some point. So let's not do the same error again.
        The other advantage of having alternative is that the modularity of the whole stack is usually improved so as to switch from one to the other. Indeed, the interconnection wrapper between the driver level and the display protocol level has been made very flexible to be able to switch to mir without writing a specific driver.

Comment

But it would be nice from Canonical if they could work on the portability of unity to other distribution. I think only arch has some tentative to make it working.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Debian testing has this wayland bloatware. It is hooked to xorg libs so it can not removed even if you are not using like in Xfce for several years or ever. This microsoft way of unused software feeding is stupid way for linux. Why break something that works. I know that they plan to have same components on desktop and mobile but light windowing system like Xfce works with X11 in low end hardware already. I installed debian xfce to PIII/800Mhz, ram 500MB 10 inch tablet pc and it works very well, better than original os, win Xp. It booted in a minute, some new windows desktops boots much slower.
            text data bss dec hex filename
            46149 6432 40 52621 cd8d /lib64/libwayland-client.so.0.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
              But it would be nice from Canonical if they could work on the portability of unity to other distribution. I think only arch has some tentative to make it working.
              It have been hard to make Unity portable with GTK because it have needed patches that have been refused upstream because "being distro specific".
              The situation is much improved with Mir. Mir doesn't have a high amount of dependencies so it should be easily ported and Unity is then in a much better situation. Unity8 shouldn't be too hard to port.

Comment

Working...
              X