Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/Spec

cool story canonical, but not so cool...
    If they didn't feel like it was good enough for them, they should have helped work on it and get involved to steer its direction, adding the features they need. At worst they could have forked it and at least had some consistency in the Wayland API.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

To be fair, the Phillips-head (+) screw is designed to cam out (slip) when torque reaches a certain point. It was a workaround for dumb assembly machines in decades past.

These days, that behaviour is undesired which is why smart carpenters use Robertson-head (■) screws and electronics are generally assembled using Torx or Pozidrive.
      I was under the impression machinists didn't like it because while a human hand has enough precision to insert the driver, machines typically don't. I still see phillips heads on just about every computer I build or repair.

The reason why flat heads were replaced with phillips heads is because machines would cam out on flat heads while it wouldn't with phillips.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I was under the impression machinists didn't like it because while a human hand has enough precision to insert the driver, machines typically don't. I still see phillips heads on just about every computer I build or repair.

The reason why flat heads were replaced with phillips heads is because machines would cam out on flat heads while it wouldn't with phillips.
        Flat-heads (--) are simple and give lots of torque to turn it. Problem, they slip out and you can easily overtighten it.
        Philips (+) keep the screwdriver from slipping and is designed to have it pop out at a certain amount of torque. You're supposed to pre-drill all the holes you need.
        Robertson (??⬛) solves the issue of the screw staying in the drill, while keeping it centered, and you can still get at it if someone paints overtop. Reading up on it, the two reasons why it didn't gain popularity is because he got burned by a company in England and refused to license it, making it a shorter supply, meaning, Henry Ford, wouldn't be able to use it widely.
        Torx (*) which is either 5 or 6 star, and like the name suggests, it provides more torque and results in less stripping so the sockets last longer.
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 25 September 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Jesus, why doesn't Canonical just give up and use Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

I thought that Robertertson (actually I thought it was Robinson) was a Canada only thing? Pretty usefull three size, colour coded handle thing going for it as well.
            Huh. Apparently they're a Canadian invention that stayed that way for a while but is now in the process of catching on in the rest of the world. Learn something new every day.

(Every dollar store screwdriver or $5 "entry level but made with decent materials" screwdriver you buy here has one or two slotted bits, two Phillips, and two Robertson, and so much else we get here is "take the U.S. version and slap a bilingual label on it" so it didn't occur to me that they'd be a local thing.)

Comment

Fsck a Phillips Head--people are dumbasses so they keep going once the driver slips out, and then you have to try and remove the stripped screw and replace it with a good one. Of course, a different head doesn't help...they do the same with Allen head screws, but at least they last longer. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                Fsck a Phillips Head--people are dumbasses so they keep going once the driver slips out, and then you have to try and remove the stripped screw and replace it with a good one.
                That's why they invented the impact drill. It keeps the bit from slipping out.

Comment

Working...
                X