Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics Are A Dream Come True For Open-Source Linux Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    this igpu is good for laptops, it turn useless the midclass amd/nvidia hybrids cards, i'm waiting to see amd doing a apu at same level cpu/gpu performance not only gpu

Well, this is how it starts; it takes time, and iGPUs are only getting better and more efficient. Shit, I remember just a few years ago they didn't even exist (at least not at an affordable consumer level).

There is no such thing as an AMD/Nvidia hybrid card. AMD makes CPUs with APUs inside, but Nvidia does not... not really sure what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

Well, this is how it starts; it takes time, and iGPUs are only getting better and more efficient. Shit, I remember just a few years ago they didn't even exist (at least not at an affordable consumer level).

There is no such thing as an AMD/Nvidia hybrid card. AMD makes CPUs with APUs inside, but Nvidia does not... not really sure what you mean.

laptop with intel/nvidia amd/amd intel/amd igpu/dgpu

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

laptop with intel/nvidia amd/amd intel/amd igpu/dgpu

Ah. Yo comprendo.

Comment

Shit, I remember just a few years ago they didn't even exist (at least not at an affordable consumer level).
          This graphics not exist on "affordable consumer level" because cheapest CPU with this iGPU is i5 5675C for $277 (and OEM laptop i5 5350H cost about the same). For that kind of money you can buy a bit older Haswell i5 and discrete graphics that would be faster.

Or if CPU performance not that important there is dirt-cheap AMD APUs that will give about the same GPU performance for sure.
          Last edited by SXX⁣; 15 July 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
            This graphics not exist on "affordable consumer level" because cheapest CPU with this iGPU is i5 5675C for $277 (and OEM laptop i5 5350H cost about the same). For that kind of money you can buy a bit older Haswell i5 and discrete graphics that would be faster.

Or if CPU performance not that important there is dirt-cheap AMD APUs that will give about the same GPU performance for sure.
            No.
            Broadwell has only a few short months to shine before Intel's Skylake architecture is expected to surface. Can its two socketed CPUs steal the spotlight?

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
              No, APUs are bandwidth limited, lack of eDRAM caused. But GPU for GPU is bigger/faster/more powerfull on top Kaveri APUs... meaning, if you find case which is clearly not bandwidth and CPU limited, APU can win... otherwise this Intel is faster in whole.

Similary this Intel GPU can't beat middle nVidia Maxwell 1 or AMD Bonaire discrete cards... means, some might find one case where it near to those $100-150 range dGPUs... but in whole it is not there.
              Last edited by dungeon; 15 July 2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

As you can expect Skylake laptops with L4 cache there might be fewer hybrid solutions which is basically a good thing for Linux users. You can easyly find Windows benchmarks gainst AMD APUs but those only use L2 cache. AMD FX CPUs had L3 cache. You would need to compare it against the XBox One... But more with an Atom with this kind of gfx core. Broadwell is ok, but no hardware HEVC decoder and no HDMI 2.0 - both will show up with Skylake.

Comment

GT3 is expensive and D3D-less. The extra state trackers part will be resolved when Vulcan can replace Gallium, but the price will be always ridiculous. Dedicated GPU will always be value for money. This corporations wile they have APUs that supposed to be better to everything, actually they are the worst of everything.

Comment

Their speciality is not making gaming graphics chips. That is like comparing a stock Ford Focus and a Corvette; they aren't in the same class, and were never meant to be. Also, remember that this is an iGPU. It is not a full-on discrete card. It is embedded into the CPU itself. Even though they have been "far behind" in gaming graphics, they are 1 of only 2 major manufacturers of consumer CPUs on the planet. I'd say that they are just expanding their horizons using the technology that they have pioneered over their existence.
                    There is qualcomm with adreno, samsung and others using mali. Apple is a big consumer cpu maker. I wouldnt say intel is one of two cpu makers. Maybe one of two PC cpu makers, but even then we have chromebooks with arm cores coming in.

Comment

Pretty impressive results for am integrated GPU. Skylake and Iris should be a great combo.

Comment

Working...
                      X