Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davcri View Post
    Someone tried the new Rebecca Os ?

Yeah I gave it a spin on an Ivy Bridge Sony Vaio with i5-3210M. Weston worked but was painfully primitive and the touchpad configuration was almost unusable, reminded me of the 90's. Enlightenment had the same touchpad issues and forced me through a wizard one preference at a time when it could have put a checklist of them all on one page, and then it was pretty true to the X11 experience. All the rest of the DE's failed to start. KDE pegged the CPU, showed the cursor after a minute, and then hung. Gnome pegged the CPU for a few minutes then crashed without ever showing a cursor. Hawaii crashed in 2 seconds. I forget the other but it crashed instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

the graphics stack the way it is now was developed by embedded ppl for embedded things
      wayland wasnt even started then

Not really. libgbm, EGL DRM platform and few EGL extensions were specifically developed for use by the Wayland compositor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Not really. libgbm, EGL DRM platform and few EGL extensions were specifically developed for use by the Wayland compositor.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTU4Nw
        maybe some extensions to make it easier, but not the important mechanisms
        also that what you linked is to manage buffers in RAM for software EGL in mesa

Comment

maybe some extensions to make it easier, but not the important mechanisms
          also that what you linked is to manage buffers in RAM for software EGL in mesa

No. It's to use EGL on bare KMS platform.

Recently I drew some diagrams of how an EGL library relates to the Wayland stack. Here I am presenting the Mesa EGL version of them with th...

Comment

Hello.Does the ISO still contains any piece of X?(Xlib etc) if so it should not have been. not wayland-enabled; x11-disabled should be in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

No. It's to use EGL on bare KMS platform.

http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com/2012/0...and-stack.html
              what you linked first was a patch for mesa to get a generic buffer management (GBM) that can be used for EGL
              its the mesa part

what i was talking about was the current state of DRM, the kernel part that does all the actual buffer management and mode-setting

its things like DirectFB, in-vehicle entertainment, Samsung fridges and other embedded devices that started all this
              Last edited by gens; 08 June 2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                In about 20 years Wayland will replace X.org.... While Mir is already here. Mir won. They should focus their resouces on Mir not on Wayland.

Um, no. It isn't. Otherwise it would be default. They have been announcing and then subsequently pushing back the release in an Ubuntu version for a few years now. They keep saying "ready and default by...." and fail to do so every time.

Comment

what you linked first was a patch for mesa to get a generic buffer management (GBM) that can be used for EGL
                  its the mesa part

what i was talking about was the current state of DRM, the kernel part that does all the actual buffer management and mode-setting

its things like DirectFB, in-vehicle entertainment, Samsung fridges and other embedded devices that started all this
                  It's true that DRM/KMS were around before Wayland was even planned. But even so, without Wayland some of the things that Mir uses wouldn't be possible, such as using OpenGL/OpenGL ES via EGL on bare KMS, and that's why I pointed out the GBM work.

Comment

Wayland Gnome works fine for me on my r9 270x (I use KDE, though...waiting for plasma to become useable via Wayland--kwin already works, though), using the radeon driver on Arch.

I haven't used Ubuntu since Natty Narwhal (11.04). For me, ubuntu lost long before they started Mir (more because I don't really care for their distro/upgrade model, though), and Mir has never been an option for me, really, because no other distro (afaik) packages it and I'm not interested in compiling it myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X