Unity 8 Continues Working Towards Proper Desktop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynical View Post
    If the windows are grouped together, (like Hangouts + Chrome) and you are trying to use ALT+TAB to get at a specific window, all you need to do is to initiate the switcher, tab over to the grouping of windows, and sit there for like half a second; The result is that it then goes directly into the grouping and lets you tab between those until you cycle out of the last window and back into the main switcher. Another alternative is to use the arrow keys to navigate in the switcher. Left and right obviously move you horizontally while up and down take you in and out between the main switcher and the window groupings.

I agree with you about the comparative snappiness of Unity 2D. That will come back with Unity 8, and probably with lots of bugs.
    Waiting half a second for a UI interaction is awful, and it feels much longer than that. I really doubt that grouping + waiting makes you save time in any situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
      The first two are trivially fixable. The Gnome tweak tool has options to include min/max buttons on windows. And then extensions are really easy to activate and one of the most popular ones leaves the application dock portion of the dash visible at all times like a more traditional dock/taskbar. Number three I also have problems with in certain applications and I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended behavior.
      For number 3, (display settings not being saved) I tried to set it through xrandr manually, and it would usually just say that it wasn't supported. I have a 144Hz monitor that I like to run at 120 Hz, so I type
      Code:
      xrandr -r 120
      And I tried a few other things with the display settings before I gave up.

As far as the Gnome Tweak Utility goes, there's also a Tweak Utility for Unity/Compiz, but using the Unity/Compiz tweak tool for fixing the ALT-TABing issue is really crappy and it more of a hack than anything else. I also doubt that the Gnome Tweak Utility will fix half of my issues with Gnome 3. There may be something else, but I'm starting to get to the point of just not wanting to bother with something that isn't functional enough to begin with.

If the windows are grouped together, (like Hangouts + Chrome) and you are trying to use ALT+TAB to get at a specific window, all you need to do is to initiate the switcher, tab over to the grouping of windows, and sit there for like half a second; The result is that it then goes directly into the grouping and lets you tab between those until you cycle out of the last window and back into the main switcher. Another alternative is to use the arrow keys to navigate in the switcher. Left and right obviously move you horizontally while up and down take you in and out between the main switcher and the window groupings.
      The wait time really screws me up. If I have like 10 windows open but only about 6 different programs, and I'm ALT-TABing to get that one window, I can't find it. I'm sure I had it open, so I look for a second or two to see what's open, then hit TAB to get to it, only to find that I'm switching through something else.

Same problem with Google Chrome and Hangouts with the Unity dash. You try to click on the Google Chrome icon to open it up, but instead it either opens or minimizes Hangouts. You have to right click the icon to get the little menu or (ALT) + (~) to get what you want.

I agree with you about the comparative snappiness of Unity 2D. That will come back with Unity 8, and probably with lots of bugs.
      I really hope you're right about the snappiness coming back.
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 20 February 2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X