Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland & Weston 1.7.0 Release Brings Valentine's Love To The Linux Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland & Weston 1.7.0 Release Brings Valentine's Love To The Linux Display Stack

Phoronix: Wayland & Weston 1.7.0 Release Brings Valentine's Love To The Linux Display Stack

Wayland 1.7.0 along with the reference Weston 1.7 compositor were released in the early hours of the morning as a great Valentine's Day gift to open-source users wishing to run the next-generation Linux display stack. The Wayland/Weston 1.7 release continues polishing up the stack as an alternative to the security-ridden X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't want to sound mean but is Wayland really ready for prime time use? I understand it is being used in some mobile fronts but what distro besides Maui and rebeccablack os (Arch it is unlockable) are jumping at the bits to use it, Are they waiting for KDE5 to land?

The it seems like it isn't even on the radar of Wine developers either. Also people on Reddit are saying using Xwayland with WIne will take a performance hit. I would like to see X11 be replaced at some point but it doesn't even seem like it will happen any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      I don't want to sound mean but is Wayland really ready for prime time use? I understand it is being used in some mobile fronts but what distro besides Maui and rebeccablack os (Arch it is unlockable) are jumping at the bits to use it, Are they waiting for KDE5 to land?

The it seems like it isn't even on the radar of Wine developers either. Also people on Reddit are saying using Xwayland with WIne will take a performance hit. I would like to see X11 be replaced at some point but it doesn't even seem like it will happen any time soon.

Yup just use Gnome. It's pretty good on Wayland with 3.14 and will be even better in the soon upcoming 3.16. You can use Gnome on Wayland since 3.10. The only reason why XWayland takes a performance hit atm is because compositor bypassing isn't implemented in mutter, yet but there are patches already available. I hope they get that into 3.16.

See here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...389#post442389

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
        It will be ready when Nvidia starts supporting it in blob.
        Not everyone has a NVIDIA card. Not everyone uses their closed source drivers. By the same logic you could say that it will be ready when Catalyst supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Yup just use Gnome. It's pretty good on Wayland with 3.14 and will be even better in the soon upcoming 3.16. You can use Gnome on Wayland since 3.10. The only reason why XWayland takes a performance hit atm is because compositor bypassing isn't implemented in mutter, yet but there are patches already available. I hope they get that into 3.16.

See here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...389#post442389
          Thank you for the info, I'm kind of a big KDE user myself. I've been on the road for a couple weeks, when I get back I'm going to try out LXQT/KFW5 on my Intel i5/HD4000 laptop. After that I just might try out the latest Wayland release if the OpenSuSE build service has it up. I'm a big nvidia blob user so it's nice to have a test system that runs a open stack so I can run on the bleeding edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
            I get your point. I paid for Nvidia GPU to have full performance though.
            Sure. If you had made a statement about Nvidia driver being important to you, noone would have really objected to that. It is important to many people. However readiness of Wayland isn't really determined by the presence of a proprietary driver from one vendor. There are lots of other things that affect everyone including those that don't have a Nvidia card that needs to be fixed first. GNOME and to a smaller extend KDE are driving a lot of those developments.

The best summary I can refer to is

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
              I don't want to sound mean but is Wayland really ready for prime time use?
              it is usable, but no

prime time means everything is there and works as it should
              X is still ahead in that regard

as for wayland DE-s
              KDE apps are still being ported to QT/frameworks/plasma 5
              E19 should work fine, though

Comment

The main problem with Wayland is the apps (from DEs to Browsers). Not the protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  The main problem with Wayland is the apps (from DEs to Browsers). Not the protocol.
                  there is no screencasting nor timing
                  one useful for some, while other for real-time apps

Comment

so is nvidia/amd ever going to support this stuff?

Comment

Working...
                    X