The Future Direction & Purpose Of Wayland's Weston Is Being Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daniels View Post
    Um, apart from how Collabora sponsors the vast majority of work from Pekka, myself, Jonny, Emilio, Fred, Tomeu, etc; Red Hat similarly for Marek, Peter, Hans, and formerly Jasper (now Endless); Jolla for Giulio; Samsung for Derek and Bryce; Intel for Jason and Kristian; etc etc, ad nauseum.
    Shhh go away with your facts. We're on the internet here!

Comment

wayland really is right around the corner. LXQt will be compatible with it, I think Englightenment is compatible with it, GNOME 3 is compatible, KDE is semi-compatible, and many "3rd party" applications are gaining compatibility (primary anything based on GTK3 or Qt5). The problem is Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and debian, since they are the most popular. Ubuntu has a strong focus on Mir, debian takes too long to decide to migrate to something, and Mint (to my knowledge) is still dependent upon GTK2 (and xwayland has a dent in performance). This means a massive chunk of the linux userbase is not going to be actively supporting and using wayland any time soon.

If wayland is to seriously gain some attention, it will be up to Valve to fix that.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 December 2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        If wayland is to seriously gain some attention, it will be up to Valve to fix that.
        They don't seem too enthused yet.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
          Um, apart from how Collabora sponsors the vast majority of work from Pekka, myself, Jonny, Emilio, Fred, Tomeu, etc; Red Hat similarly for Marek, Peter, Hans, and formerly Jasper (now Endless); Jolla for Giulio; Samsung for Derek and Bryce; Intel for Jason and Kristian; etc etc, ad nauseum.
          But afaik Kristian switched to another project a long ago, maybe other folks you mention either don't work on Wayland either, or only partially.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            wayland really is right around the corner. LXQt will be compatible with it, I think Englightenment is compatible with it, GNOME 3 is compatible, KDE is semi-compatible, and many "3rd party" applications are gaining compatibility (primary anything based on GTK3 or Qt5). The problem is Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and debian, since they are the most popular. Ubuntu has a strong focus on Mir, debian takes too long to decide to migrate to something, and Mint (to my knowledge) is still dependent upon GTK2 (and xwayland has a dent in performance). This means a massive chunk of the linux userbase is not going to be actively supporting and using wayland any time soon.

Linux Mint isn't suck with GTK2. if your talking about Mint Mate edition yes it uses GTK2 but if your are talking about Mint Cinnamon edition it uses/based on gnome 3 and GTK3. i ask Clem a while back about using wayland and his reply was it was unlikely in the near term. i suspect it will be at least a year or more till it gets use for at least Cinnamon and i don't see Mate ever really making the jump to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
              Toolkits are done.
              No they're not.
              Having support (1) for Wayland, having full support (2), and having full well tested support (3) are 3 different things. Qt5 is at (1). We the end users mean (3).

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                Patience is the key guys. We had millions LOC to make compatible with wayland. We had to remove all the hacks we made. We had to rethink how everything work. We worked hard 6 years to make it so. Why? Because we know that will wayland, linux desktop will shine, and we will stop borthering ourself with low performances, hacks, bugs of all sort. We will finally work to make our DE and apps better with a better code and performance and without the X bottleneck. Company like Microsoft can't affort to do something like this. The linux desktop can. Wait another year of developpement maximum and we will get full GNOME and Plasma on Walyand. We are close. Patience is the key guys.
                Patience is a virtue many in the sw development community do not possess or ever acquire. People prefer instant gratification, quick fixes and silver bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  People prefer instant gratification, quick fixes and silver bullets.
                  In what moron's head "6+ years" == "instant gratification"?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    that's exactly why people are saying that wayland will never be used or jumps on solution with "faster" development, even if it doesn't solve every problems. People like hacks, people like quick and dirty solution, because they can have it now. With wayland, yes, you will wait 6+ years. Because it worth it. Because this time they are doing it right, not fast. But this is the price to have the best display server.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      I don't know mark - how long did it take Linux to become mainstream since its inception?

Comment

Working...
                      X