Relative Pointer Motion Patches Published For Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MINIMIZE FUCKING WORKS.

On enlightenment from git -at least the last time i tested. So its not a wayland problem. Weston is just a playground so noone should care if it is missing features.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
      I'd like to know what the real benefits of wayland are going to be. Higher fps in games? Less cpu utilization? Are these going to be significant enough to merit the years of development on a different project?
      The result will be a simple and effective system that doesn't have an enormous amount of security holes like xorg and works properly and efficiently without taking considerable amounts of ram, storage, and cpu. It will also be easier to develop drivers and applications for because it uses EGL, a standard API which can provide almost all of the functionality necessary for a compositor to do its job and for applications to get new instances for rendering. A break of backwards compatibility was necessary to get away from the xorg model. It can run quickly and smoothly, due to the way it renders, on platforms like the Raspberry Pi where the capabilities aren't very high. It's only natural to have an easily maintainable system that can be utilized by multiple compositors communicating using a standard protocol. X could have been used for that purpose, but making a new X compatible display server would be a joke; plus the core of X isn't effective anymore, and extensions have to be utilized. Also, xorg has to run as root because of how the drivers are written. I am aware that there are moves to fix this, but it is still absurd that most people (me included) run a common and vulnerable (via extensions, not core) display server as root; thus removing xorg is a key to Linux desktop security.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        MINIMIZE FUCKING WORKS.

On enlightenment from git -at least the last time i tested. So its not a wayland problem. Weston is just a playground so noone should care if it is missing features.
        Thank you for this. I thought I was going to die a little when people start treating the refrence compositor as a feature complete product. It isn't if anything it may become a library with time but that's as far as most want it to go.

Comment

I'd like to know what the real benefits of wayland are going to be. Higher fps in games? Less cpu utilization? Are these going to be significant enough to merit the years of development on a different project?
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...window_systems

Comment

X Is fundamentally broken in several ways, all mostly due to design decisions that were not forward thinking / did not take into account that things could DRASTICALLY change between now and the future. Wayland's assumptions may also prove to be incorrect but the developers know that and at least TRY to allow for changes to be made in the future without breaking everything. Latest example...

A long-standing and unfixable problem in X is that we cannot send a number of keys to clients because their keycode is too high. This doesn'...
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
              While I'm very happy with where Wayland is taking us, isn't it kind of sad that we need announcements for trivial things like this? These features apparently are rocket science, but it really shouldn't be, not in the year 2014 anyway. Mouse pointing devices have been spitting out vectors since they day they were conceived, and 'minimizing' is a core concept of any windowing system. These are two of the most basic of basic features, one would advertise in early 90's. It reminds us there's a lot of catching up to do, and shows the damage X11 has done over the years.

I don't wish to detract from the much needed efforts of Wayland devs though. I'm really looking forward what Wayland will bring in the years to come.
              Most devices sold today don't have an "in app minimize command" concept in their UI (phones, tablets, cars, TVs, ad displays, consoles, etc..). The protocol requires a minimize function only when the application is responsible for asking the compositor to minimize it (in particular, how it should be handled when the app in non responsive). This is exclusively a desktop UI paradigm (on every other UI, the compositor is the only one responsible for minimizing stuff).
              And guess what? The minimize protocol is already in the desktop extension of wayland (xdg-shell)!

Same with pointer lock. This is specific to desktop, and actually specific to desktop games. This is obviously not the first feature to implement in a new compositor... But there you are, the feature is available much before any next gen compositor is deemed production ready, so who cares.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Lol.... I really should do an updated write up if people are going to continue to link to it years later xD
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Now all we're waiting for is for the Weston patch to minimize windows.
                    The implantation is already there i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      Most devices sold today don't have an "in app minimize command" concept in their UI (phones, tablets, cars, TVs, ad displays, consoles, etc..). The protocol requires a minimize function only when the application is responsible for asking the compositor to minimize it (in particular, how it should be handled when the app in non responsive). This is exclusively a desktop UI paradigm (on every other UI, the compositor is the only one responsible for minimizing stuff).
                      And guess what? The minimize protocol is already in the desktop extension of wayland (xdg-shell)!

Same with pointer lock. This is specific to desktop, and actually specific to desktop games. This is obviously not the first feature to implement in a new compositor... But there you are, the feature is available much before any next gen compositor is deemed production ready, so who cares.
                      That is nonsense. On touch based device minimize is called not on screen, and is very central concept to all major touch based operating systems

Comment

Working...
                      X