No announcement yet.

NEMO-UX Shell Is A Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I got the point: when you see a rotated window then it's Wayland.
    It is just present in all Wayland's demo I saw so far... let me guess, is it not possible do it with X?

Comment

This looks really uncomfortable to use:

The 'deformable' start menu will probably prohibit building a muscle memory for the buttons, it wastes space etc.
      The slow animations are really annoying (even though that schould be an easy fix).

INB4 flashy eye candy > functionality.
      Count me unimpressed.

Comment

This look awesome. I have for long dreamed of something like this.
        Of course not as a workstation but imagine this on a conference table.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          It is just present in all Wayland's demo I saw so far... let me guess, is it not possible do it with X?
          It is possible in X when using compositor, like compiz.

Comment

I had rotated and angled (in 3d) windows 7 years ago using the Compiz plugin Freely Transformable Windows.

Comment

You could rotate windows in X11 with Compiz, but then you weren't able to interact them. (Unless you had patches for Compiz and X that never got merged as far as I recall)

Wayland doesn't use global coordinates, so input redirection is possible

Comment

Would be very useful for collaboration where multiple people are working together on a single machine with a table top touch monitor. The Window rotation and the in-place system menu are useful for people sitting at different sides of the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  This look awesome. I have for long dreamed of something like this.
                  Of course not as a workstation but imagine this on a conference table.
                  Well, it's essentially the same concept as the original Microsoft Surface - the table version, not the mobile tablet. The windows are freely rotatable because there's no logical default orientation - it's designed for the situation where users are sitting *around* the screen, so you need to be able to orient things to suit someone who could be viewing from any angle. It's essentially a virtual coffee table... it'd be really good for playing boardgames on (if somewhat expensive for that purpose).

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Would be very useful for collaboration where multiple people are working together on a single machine with a table top touch monitor. The Window rotation and the in-place system menu are useful for people sitting at different sides of the table.
                  Exactly. It's not a replacement for a normal PC desktop... it's a replacement for your *physical* desktop...

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                    I had rotated and angled (in 3d) windows 7 years ago using the Compiz plugin Freely Transformable Windows.
                    That wasn't quite the same thing. Mouse inputs weren't mapped properly and you were somewhat limited in what you could do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      Well, it's essentially the same concept as the original Microsoft Surface - the table version, not the mobile tablet. The windows are freely rotatable because there's no logical default orientation - it's designed for the situation where users are sitting *around* the screen, so you need to be able to orient things to suit someone who could be viewing from any angle. It's essentially a virtual coffee table...
                      That's exactly what I want to use it for. I wanted the Surface too but as it never got released...

Comment

Working...
                      X