Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin On Wayland Begins Using Libinput

Phoronix: KDE's KWin On Wayland Begins Using Libinput

Martin Gr??lin has shared that as of today the libinput support has been integrated into KDE's KWin Wayland code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All of you should really read the blog article linked in the news. It contains an interesting list of FAQ and a lot of detail on why using logind and libinput.

Comment

Honestly I think his article explained it much better than the FAQ. The latter was not necessary and a bit more confusing than his actual post...

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        All of you should really read the blog article linked in the news. It contains an interesting list of FAQ and a lot of detail on why using logind and libinput.
        not working atm....
        Error establishing a database connection

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
          not working atm....
          Reading his article via Planet KDE Rss

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Doesn't really matter when all people are going to see is "ZOMG LOGIND IS A PART OF SYSTEMD WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SYSTEMD SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS AND I REFUSE TO CHANGE SO I MUST PROTEST LIKE SOME WHINNY KID ON THE INTERWEBZ BECAUSE KDE SOLD OUT".

On a saner note, I wonder how much longer till we get full Wayland support for the entire Linux graphical stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Doesn't really matter when all people are going to see is "ZOMG LOGIND IS A PART OF SYSTEMD WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SYSTEMD SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS AND I REFUSE TO CHANGE SO I MUST PROTEST LIKE SOME WHINNY KID ON THE INTERWEBZ BECAUSE KDE SOLD OUT".

On a saner note, I wonder how much longer till we get full Wayland support for the entire Linux graphical stack.
              We have Wayland running decently on Smart TVs, Raspberry Pi, IVI systems, etc.. So I'd worry more about DEs work.

I'd say in something like a year we will be able to run a functional, production-use wayland environment in Gnome, E19 and Weston. Maybe we won't be able to use a whole set of apps for every task, but it'll be fine through XWayland in those cases.
              As for KDE, I believe it'll take more like two years to reach a functional point.
              Don't expect Xfce support to come before 3 years from now. First they need to port it to gtk3, and with their manpower that alone could take easily 2 years.
              LxQt plans are to use Kwin as the compositor so my guess is at least two years.
              There's no plans for Openbox nor the typical tiling WMs to support Wayland. But there are already shells from scratch for Weston like i3-way. No idea of the state of these as of now.

Comment

Working...
              X