Enlightenment E19 Officially Released With Its Own Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadix View Post
    My goodness, give them some time to update the page. Michael is probably subscribed to their mailing list.
    Or has possibly announced the official release before it's actually occurred. Wouldn't be the first time he's jumped the gun a little...

Comment

Originally posted by wardhan View Post
      does e19 allow or support to run other packages with wayland support ? or only e19 itself runs on wayland only ?
      Anything that you have setup for Wayland (EFL/GTK/Qt/etc) will run in E19 on Wayland. It will not work with programs that need to run under XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
        Hey guys!

I'm looking for an E19 Ubuntu packages, closest as possible with E19 sources, I mean, without extra patches, just plain E19.

Also, I would like to achieve something like this: Ubuntu 14.10 + Wayland + systemd + E19.

I tried to run Bodhi Desktop, didn't like it (too much patches on top on E19)... Then, I tried this: https://launchpad.net/~niko2040/+archive/ubuntu/e19 - but this one doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled and it is a bit outdated.

I tried Rebbeca too, it doesn't even boot (MD5 okay)... :-/

So, lets build/maintain pure E19 packages for Ubuntu? I can host it within my own PPA, I have hardware to build it on a daily basis...

Please, let me know if there are E19 packages around for Ubuntu / Debian (specially if it doesn't depend on XOrg)...

Cheers!
        Thiago
        Are you married to Ubuntu? If not, you can try suse or fedora. You'd be swimming against the tide far less at either place.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Are you married to Ubuntu? If not, you can try suse or fedora. You'd be swimming against the tide far less at either place.
          Yea but just think of the enjoyment when most of the ubuntu users switch to wayland

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            Yea but just think of the enjoyment when most of the ubuntu users switch to wayland
            Wayland fully working in Ubuntu before Mir ROFL

Comment

it will still send wrong message like ubuntu is your preferred distro, since there is no counter how many people switched DE or display server. if you switch to something else, not only you'll be sending right message, you'll also be having way less hustle.

no matter how many people would switch Mir for wayland or unity to some other DE, statistics would say otherwise. this many people downloaded ubuntu=number of people preferring Mir and unity. and new developers will always go with most popular by first statistic number they find on net

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                it will still send wrong message like ubuntu is your preferred distro, since there is no counter how many people switched DE or display server. if you switch to something else, not only you'll be sending right message, you'll also be having way less hustle.

no matter how many people would switch Mir for wayland or unity to some other DE, statistics would say otherwise. this many people downloaded ubuntu=number of people preferring Mir and unity. and new developers will always go with most popular by first statistic number they find on net
                Most Ubuntu users use an Ubuntu derivitive. The people using Mint and other versions certainly do not indicate that they want to use Mir/Unity.
                I count Ubuntu derivitives as still using Ubuntu.

Comment

HeLLo,

Last E19 packages work like a charm with Manjaro (& Arch, I presume).

Comment

Most Ubuntu users use an Ubuntu derivitive. The people using Mint and other versions certainly do not indicate that they want to use Mir/Unity.
                    I count Ubuntu derivitives as still using Ubuntu.
                    here's a hint
                    Code:
                    uname -a
                    that's all that really matters for that statistic

Comment

How many people select a district based on usage statistics?

Seriously I take Linux users to be a bit smarter about district choices. The fact that a lot of serious development gets done on other distros ought to highlight this reality.

On a side note I'm very happy to hear that Enlightenment is getting sound support. I never liked QT and gnome was getting a bit iffy. It is good to have choices.

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

Last edited by wizard69; 16 September 2014, 11:01 PM. Reason: Warning to ignore the auto correct typo.

Comment

Working...
                      X