Weston's Full-Screen Shell Protocol Revised Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    Complexity. A desktop shell (like plasma, or GNOME SHELL) must handle pointers, composition (between different windows), windows sizes and states (minimized) and possibly decorations, and its own privileged applications to deal with application rights, display settings, and thousands of other things. A phone shell can be much simpler (no compositor, pointers or windows sizes).
    But if you want a shell to display something during the early boot sequence, or when debugging the kernel in a virtual console, you explicitly need something very simple.

If I'm not mistaken these patches come in a wider effort to provide a default shell that would be enough in such cases.
    Ah, that explains it.

It wants to scale from a full fledged desktop to a small scale phone. Hence some stuff might look duplicate but will benefit certain scenario's. I can get into that. So, this is Wayland trying to be the same as Mir (or better) I guess... .

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Ah, that explains it.

It wants to scale from a full fledged desktop to a small scale phone. Hence some stuff might look duplicate but will benefit certain scenario's. I can get into that. So, this is Wayland trying to be the same as Mir (or better) I guess... .
      No, that's for Weston.
      Wayland has the full blown complexity, but because it is built on extensions, this complexity is optional (and extensible).
      But wayland is just the protocol that clients can use, facing them you need a shell + compositor (the compositor is the one implementing wayland, but it also has impact on the shell).
      Weston is the reference compositor for wayland, and although it is made to test functionality, it is quite usable (much like the Xorg server). It also has a mechanism to implement shells as Weston plug-ins. For example, Kwin will be implemented as a weston plug-in, but GNOME shell and Enlightenment will provide their own compositor. There is also an IVI shell plug-in, that is there to easily make OS environments for in-car devices (and also follow more closely the development standards of this industry). And then, there is this effort (for Weston) to provide pre-made functionality for cases where you don't need an environment at all (single app), and don't want to package the full gnome shell with you.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        For example, Kwin will be implemented as a weston plug-in,
        Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?
          I was sure, but it appears I was wrong

"No, KWin doesn?t ?use? Weston. KWin is currently not yet a Wayland compositor, but can render to a Wayland surface instead of an X Overlay Window."
          Martin Gr??lin, http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...-frameworks-5/

So they use it at the moment, but will eventually provide their own compositor.

Comment

Working...
          X