Mir Works On Screencasting, Parallelized Page Flipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    For example if Mir supports closed source drivers better, companies will like it more and at least on ARM all GPU work is closed so it's clear Wayland has trouble on ARM and Mir doesn't.
    And why would that be clear? Mir has no magic closed source driver support, it uses the same system which can be used for wayland: libhybris.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      What matters is the financial backing behind project. People may not like Mir or Canonical but if they keep pushing it with financial support for years, it will eliminate the need for Wayland. If Wayland does something better, with enough effort Mir can adopt that and become better in the end. It's just a matter of manpower and industrial co-operation. For example if Mir supports closed source drivers better, companies will like it more and at least on ARM all GPU work is closed so it's clear Wayland has trouble on ARM and Mir doesn't.
      Yeah, if only companies like Intel, red hat, collabora and Jolla contributed to Wayland...
      How is Mir better supported on closed drivers? They showed a demo awhile back but that was run with surfacflinger. Both Wayland and Mir require new gles extensions in order to work.
      That said, Jolla has already deployed a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Yeah, if only companies like Intel, red hat, collabora and Jolla contributed to Wayland...
        How is Mir better supported on closed drivers? They showed a demo awhile back but that was run with surfacflinger. Both Wayland and Mir require new gles extensions in order to work.
        That said, Jolla has already deployed a Wayland compositor.
        Mir is running on ubuntu touch for awhile now, im running Xmir as default on 14.04 is running smoth...

Comment

Originally posted by marciocr View Post
          The cases are totally different.

The "Mir haters" must understand that Wayland isn't a display server.
          mir haters understand it better than canonical fanbois
          they hate moronic decision to develop proprietary protocol

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
            Mir is running on ubuntu touch for awhile now, im running Xmir as default on 14.04 is running smoth...
            stupid kid must know that by using xmir he uses x11, not mir, and that xmir is basically renamed xwayland.
            i.e. dumb moron uses x11 via software, developed by wayland developers and masturbates on canonical

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              Basically wayland is vaporware that needs to be implemented by each desktop environment while Mir when finished will be a display server which is ready to use without having to go to all the trouble of writing an entire protocol implementation from scratch.
              Wayland is being deployed on mobile devices right now, the desktop implementation of GNOME can be used in Fedora 20 right now, while Mir is constantly getting pushed back more and more... which is the vaporware, again?

Btw, I held a Wayland phone (Sailfish) in my hand a couple of days ago, gotta say it was impressive... extremely responsive, smooth and visually stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Wayland is being deployed on mobile devices right now, the desktop implementation of GNOME can be used in Fedora 20 right now, while Mir is constantly getting pushed back more and more... which is the vaporware, again?

Btw, I held a Wayland phone (Sailfish) in my hand a couple of days ago, gotta say it was impressive... extremely responsive, smooth and visually stunning!
                Well it will feel smooth since behind the scenes they have optimized the protocol implementation for the platform is running on, but is that even portable? As an example, try compiling the raspberry pi wayland implementation on other platform. Also community is wasting a lot of time implementing the wayland protocol over and over again. It is like running while(true){ rewrite_wayland(); } Is funny because people said Canonical/Ubuntu was causing segmentation on the linux community but actually it is the otherway around. Want to use KDE? you need their wayland implementation, want to use Gnome? hey they also wrote a wayland implementation, whoaa the new shiny hawaii desktop? Enlightment? the same sh**....

It even took the effort of a commercial company (collabora) to write the wayland implementation for the raspberry pi. Will everyone have the manpower or backing to write a wayland implementation for their hardware? I dont think so. Lets face it, Wayland is vaporware left in the hands of others to implement.

Comment

You don't know what you're talking about. Wayland is a protocol, and different implementations of that protocol, by definition, are compatible. You don't need KDE's compositor to run KDE applications, nor you need Gnome's compositor to run GNOME apps.
                  You can run Weston on the rpi even without the rpi backend, but it will run slower. Wayland does not need to have specific code for every platform, but it allows to, having much better permormances than on X, which doesn't allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    stupid kid must know that by using xmir he uses x11, not mir, and that xmir is basically renamed xwayland.
                    i.e. dumb moron uses x11 via software, developed by wayland developers and masturbates on canonical
                    you just proved you dont even know what your talking about, now excuse me while i ignore you

PS: to anyone who acuses me to be a fanboy, your wrong.
                    while i am using ubuntu to check hows things are going my main os in win8.1 just cause i use what works.

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    Well it will feel smooth since behind the scenes they have optimized the protocol implementation for the platform is running on, but is that even portable? As an example, try compiling the raspberry pi wayland implementation on other platform. Also community is wasting a lot of time implementing the wayland protocol over and over again. It is like running while(true){ rewrite_wayland(); } Is funny because people said Canonical/Ubuntu was causing segmentation on the linux community but actually it is the otherway around. Want to use KDE? you need their wayland implementation, want to use Gnome? hey they also wrote a wayland implementation, whoaa the new shiny hawaii desktop? Enlightment? the same sh**....

It even took the effort of a commercial company (collabora) to write the wayland implementation for the raspberry pi. Will everyone have the manpower or backing to write a wayland implementation for their hardware? I dont think so. Lets face it, Wayland is vaporware left in the hands of others to implement.
                    like giucam said this isnt exactly true...
                    i do prefer Mir's way of doing this tho.
                    Last edited by TheSoulz; 16 February 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                      your wrong
                      imbecile, you don't have to use something exclusively to be fanboi

Comment

Working...
                      X