Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marciocr View Post
    No. It is not.
    If it was clear. This debate would not exist.

The Mir X Wayland, If KWin will or not adopt Mir and others issues only became a debate because of lack of neutrality.
    Although there would be no debate on its neutrality if it was clear that governance is neutral, do you care to point out what this has to do with KWin?

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    And there it is ladies and gentleman, the FUD nonsense.
    Ahem? I can give you a link to Mark's words saying it will work on Mir.

Comment

• Originally posted by marciocr View Post
      No. It is not.
      If it was clear. This debate would not exist.

The Mir X Wayland, If KWin will or not adopt Mir and others issues only became a debate because of lack of neutrality.
      Nonsense. You are conflating governance neutrality with forcing maintainers into accepting certain technology pieces. Maintainers get to make technical choices and reject options all the time. If you develop Mir, it is your job to convince and persuade the maintainers or otherwise fork if they want to. Criticising those maintainers because you have no technical arguments is a poor path to take.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        There is clear and obvious neutral governance in Wayland (Xorg foundation, KDE (KDE E.v) and GNOME (GNOME foundation)
        I remain highly skeptical with that kind of baseless statements .

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        as I have already noted explicitly before and Linux kernel maintainers don't rule with any kind of iron fist for neutrality. Instead they take technical AND commercial interests into account. C.f Recent Android upstreaming efforts or Ext4 changes that are only really applicable to Google or storage layer changes that are beneficial only to Oracle. None of this should be a surprise or news to anyone.

You keep choosing very poor examples: changes that are only really applicable to {COMPANY A} or {IMPLEMENTATION} changes that are beneficial only to {COMPANY B} . I highly doubt those changes will be beneficial only to those companies. It looks more like driver support committed by those companies, changes that make sense according to the policy of linux, which is the usual business in the linux kernel. And your example is horrible if you pretend to support the idea that Xorg , Gnome or KDE are neutral at all.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Lets get to the key issue though: You want to dismiss all dissenting opinions and pretend that it is just a commercial debate when it is exceeding obvious to anyone that these are many developers who speak for themselves and aren't acting on the behalf of their companies. It is a mix of technical debates and personality conflicts.

Who is dismissing dissenting opinions?. In fact , everybody should accept the dissenting opinion of canonical regarding waylaid , without whining even if you disagree. Why? because Canonical is totally entitled to do it. And I highly doubt that paid developers are not acting in the behalf of their employers, that's their money. So i am just dismissing the nonsensical FUD and childish rationalizations .

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Ahem? I can give you a link to Mark's words saying it will work on Mir.
          What that have anything to do with your insinuation that KDE developers will be somehow compromised ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            Who is dismissing dissenting opinions?. In fact , everybody should accept the dissenting opinion of canonical regarding waylaid , without whining even if you disagree. Why? because Canonical is totally entitled to do it. And I highly doubt that paid developers are not acting in the behalf of their employers, that's their money. So i am just dismissing the nonsensical FUD and childish rationalizations .
            If you prefer to always assume free and open source software developers as puppets for their companies, that is your choice. It is a unconvincing argument and insulting to do so however. Again, Canonical is free to develop Mir. They are not free to insist that KWin maintainers support them.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
              To give some background to it from a German position. In Germany parties fear the term "right" like the devil the holy water. Right is in German incorrectly applied to extremists and not to economy. So a "right" party calls itself "middle" here. Being recognized as a right winged party is certainly not good. But I don't think anybody considers the tea party as Nazis here. My description would be "those nutters, who brought the US to the border of bankruptcy, because they don't want public health care". Especially the public health care is something most people in Germany won't understand given that it got introduced in Germany by Otto von Bismarck in the 19th century. Also what we get from tea party are the strange beliefs like rape cannot lead to pregnancy or intelligent design. So it was a low blow as they are considered nutters.
              You're a really ignorant person.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                You're a really ignorant person.
                Ah there we are again... you get that the news this thread is about some people complaining about ad hominem attacks, right?

Comment

Ah there we are again... you get that the news this thread is about some people complaining about ad hominem attacks, right?
                  talking about ad hominem attacks: https://plus.google.com/115606635748...ts/WGv9BEL9gMS
                  did you apologize yourself publicly for that, like you still demand that public apology from Mark Shuttleworth?

Does the KDE CoC state its ok to attack other Projects and People with sarcastic statements in public to badmouth it/him?

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    If you prefer to always assume free and open source software developers as puppets for their companies, that is your choice. It is a unconvincing argument and insulting to do so however. Again, Canonical is free to develop Mir. They are not free to insist that KWin maintainers support them.
                    In other words. What paid developer of open source software is going to work against the interests of the employer ? Would that make sense at all?

And Canonical is not forcing anyone to support MIR, yet they are free to promote it. The KWIN developer is free to support whatever he likes, or to abandon the open source community . Oh, if the kwin developer decides to stop maintaining KWIN ,other maintainer will take his place (hopefully a better and more mature one ) , so that should not be a problem. Users should not worry about it, since i believe that the KDE project is much more and more important than just a maintainer

Comment

That wasn't an ad hominem attack. I was just stating a fact. You're really ignorant of American politics, but you spoke like you think you know a thing or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X