KDE Developers Continue To Be Frustrated With Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    I did not know that people hire open source developers to just express their opinions . I thought people hire other people to work for them .

Is Mark Shuttleworth personally attacking maintainers of several projects including systemd and KWin??? Somebody should call the police and file assault charges against him. I thought that it was just a little rant in his personal blog after the systematic FUD against canonical. I did not known anything about the spree of violence
    Companies hire open source developers for work and not for controlling their independent opinions. Again, people are not puppets. Also it wasn't just a rant into a blog. You cannot sidestep the point with a silly literal interpretation. There has been multiple posts from Mark including in Google Plus targeting individual open source developers by name.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      Companies hire open source developers for work and not for controlling their independent opinions. Again, people are not puppets. Also it wasn't just a rant into a blog. You cannot sidestep the point with a silly literal interpretation. There has been multiple posts from Mark including in Google Plus targeting individual open source developers by name.
      And the people that MS attacked are innocents lambs that not said nothing about Canonical and Ubuntu?

Comment

• Originally posted by marciocr View Post
        And the people that MS attacked are innocents lambs that not said nothing about Canonical and Ubuntu?
        So if you say something about Canonical and Ubuntu, you deserve to be attacked by Mark? If he wants to be a leader he has to stop engaging in mudslinging.

Comment

yes , Companies hire open source developers for work ... work for them ! That is what i have been trying to explain you all the time. There is a conflict of interests and strategies here between these companies. That is it. Everything else is just political BS

And so far, the only "scandal" about MS posts has been this one. IMO , he is totally entitled to rant after all the systematic nonsensical FUD against him and canonical. As someone else said about "independent opinions", even more if are the owner of the company.

Oh, and excuse for reading and interpreting your sentence literally , because that means your claim was just hyperbole or just a mistake.

Comment

yes , Companies hire open source developers for work ... work for them ! That is what i have been trying to explain you all the time. There is a conflict of interests and strategies here between these companies. That is it. Everything else is just political
            You don't understand or refuse to accept that open source developers CAN and DO have independent opinions that has nothing to do with their employer. I have actually worked for open source companies for nearly a decade and unlike you can speak from experience that you are wrong and diversity of opinions are often encouraged to weed out bad arguments like yours. Your failure to accept this simple truth is simply because you want to push forward the idea that this is a purely commercial conflict. Having known some of the developers involved at a more personal level, I am fully aware that this isn't the case.

Comment

So if you say something about Canonical and Ubuntu, you deserve to be attacked by Mark? If he wants to be a leader he has to stop engaging in mudslinging.

No. Never.
              Two wrongs don't make a right.

But I can't agree with the version that MS is the big bad lobbys that is bulling the FOSS community gratuitous.
              Yes, I agree that the Wayland FUD by Canonical was bad, the "tea party" accusation was bad and what the wrote in G+ also is bad. But none of them (except the FUD, that was gratuitous) was gratuitous.

Some devs started to do political opposition. It not hard to find in the G+ timeline of Lennart Poettering or Aaron Seigo some bad things, not to say offensive about Canonical or a tech created by them.

MS it not a saint. He need to reconsider his public relations. He is getting "enemies" without a good reason.

But the other side also. Why so hate? Why so many critics? Even when the critic is right, why insert some words that will hurt feelings?
              This for example said by Seigo about Uniy8.

Making unfounded claims in this manner is, imho, ethically weak. But what is really disappointing here is that the Free software community is being told a fairy tale in hopes that they will believe it and as a result support Canonical .. under what amounts to false pretenses.
              Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

This is a adult critic? A speech from who wanna just do a constructive criticism or express an opinion? Or sounds like a political adversary that want to burn the public image from the other?

So. There is no innocents lambs in this political war.

Comment

You don't understand or refuse to accept that open source developers CAN and DO have independent opinions that has nothing to do with their employer. I have actually worked for open source companies for nearly a decade and unlike you can speak from experience that you are wrong and diversity of opinions are often encouraged to weed out bad arguments like yours. Your failure to accept this simple truth is simply because you want to push forward the idea that this is a purely commercial conflict. Having known some of the developers involved at a more personal level, I am fully aware that this isn't the case.
                I am not talking about personal opinions, of course that the developer can have its own personal opinions contrary to the wishes of the company. I am not talking about that. I am talking about actual work. A company hires a developer to work with a open source project . Do you really expect that the company is going to pay the developer to work (not taking about opinions here ) against the interests of the company that is paying him ?

You have to be a little more honest with yourself. I can see the tangent

Comment

• Originally posted by marciocr View Post
                  Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

This is a adult critic? A speech from who wanna just do a constructive criticism or express an opinion? Or sounds like a political adversary that want to burn the public image from the other?
                  I actually think Aaron's criticism is pretty poignant and makes it very clear where his objections are while being supportive of the overall effort. I would encourage everyone to adopt such a approach.

"p.s. I'm usually very hesitant to speak critically in public about other Free software projects as it usually does more harm than good, and given my professional interest in these areas some may wonder if I'm speaking from a conflict of interest. I want to make it crystal clear that I think Ubuntu Phone a great thing to see; more Free software mobile efforts, particularly ones using Qt/QML, warm my insides like a good bowl of soup on a cold winter's night."

Comment

I am not talking about personal opinions, of course that the developer can have its own personal opinions contrary to the wishes of the company. I am not talking about that. I am talking about actual work. A company hires a developer to work with a open source project . Do you really expect that the company is going to pay the developer to work (not taking about opinions here ) against the interests of the company that is paying him ?
                    You keep asking the same question. I will repeat it one more time. The answer is yes, if you work for a open source company like Red Hat, you can very well speak against the interests of the company and many developers do so on a frequent basis. It is trivial to find Red Hatters who criticize Fedora or systemd for example.

Comment

You keep asking the same question. I will repeat it one more time. The answer is yes, if you work for a open source company like Red Hat, you can very well speak against the interests of the company and many developers do so on a frequent basis. It is trivial to find Red Hatters who criticize Fedora or systemd for example.

OK... moving on!

Comment

Working...
                      X