Simple DMA-BUF Client Posted For Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    Weston is a living code example, they don't have to worry much about it, kwin/mutter/efl are the ones that do. The problem come from people that can't understand that weston is a live documentation example of how to make a very very basic compositor for wayland and is completely unrelated to wayland and the fact that weston is not used or share code with any other big compositor like mutter or kwin.
    If no one uses it or shares code with it, then why does it exist? Who is it meant for? Is it just a test platform to see how Wayland is working?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      If no one uses it or shares code with it, then why does it exist? Who is it meant for? Is it just a test platform to see how Wayland is working?
      omg my compositor is corrupting the render node buffer, what can i do? --> go and check API --> seems fine WTH --> let me check if weston do the same --> dafuq ?? it doesnt --> let me check how weston does it!! --> omg im such a noob i had to resize the buffer to my surface texture LOL --> now my own compositor works fine with render nodes.

for example

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        omg my compositor is corrupting the render node buffer, what can i do? --> go and check API --> seems fine WTH --> let me check if weston do the same --> dafuq ?? it doesnt --> let me check how weston does it!! --> omg im such a noob i had to resize the buffer to my surface texture LOL --> now my own compositor works fine with render nodes.

for example
        Ah, makes sense now.

Comment

Ah, makes sense now.
          To put it in a less sarcastic way... Weston is there so people can see how things should work and see a real life example of Wayland doing its thing. To be a testbed for the protocol and also an so other developers have an up to date reference point for their own compositors.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Can someone in plain english explain what this update does? If this update related to Nvidia optimus?
            This change doesn't actually change any infrastructure, but it actually is meant to test it.

Recently a new feature in the kernel called DRM Render nodes was added, and from what I understand it makes it easy for userspace apps to use the GPUs without requiring root access. http://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2013/09/...-device-nodes/

This patch added a sample Wayland program into the Weston repositories, as one of the clients that come with the Weston Display Server that test a certain function.

Its meant to test how a program using DRM render nodes could be a Wayland client, and the test client did not require a change to the actual Weston compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              Where does this guy find so much time for coding ? lol
              In my school we don't have time to participate in any project
              What do you mean where? His name is Hermann, derived from hermit, which means he doesn't interact with anyone, he just holes up and codes! Duh!

Comment

Working...
              X