wow
           such alignment
                         ready for production
                  such obscure issue
                                       nobody will ever see
                  wow
    I shouldn't stay up so late.

tl; dr:
    You can have X running while trying it on a tty with "gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland". tty switching doesn't work, but you can "pkill gnome-session" and it'll drop you back to the tty. But when doing that it also killed pulseaudio and kded4 in X was a bit broken and hotkeys still don't work even after starting kdeinit4 again.

Leave a comment:

• jukkan
    replied
    This is a big milestone as I understand. I'm extremely pleased with the pace of development of Wayland & GNOME this year.

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    Originally posted by robclark View Post
    that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

pretty! thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• Akka
    replied
    Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Canonical wants to run entire desktops under XMir. This is turning out to be more complicated that anticipated. For XWayland, it will just run applications that don't run under Wayland. This should be much simpler and as Wayland has a lot of X developers, I'm guessing their assessment is right.
    As the XWayland behavior is the same as xorg in macosx and windows I suppose the behavior already is supported by xorg and has been optimized in many years?

Leave a comment:

• Skrapion
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    it puts tears in my eye's
    No no no, there's no tearing in Wayland. Every frame is perfect

Leave a comment:

• LinuxGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by robclark View Post

it puts tears in my eye's

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by Kostas View Post
    So..anyone know what's holding XWayland back? Or is it just a case of them trying to get the actual thing ready and thus just not working much on it?
    Canonical wants to run entire desktops under XMir. This is turning out to be more complicated that anticipated. For XWayland, it will just run applications that don't run under Wayland. This should be much simpler and as Wayland has a lot of X developers, I'm guessing their assessment is right.

Leave a comment:

• robclark
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    the beauty that is wayland:

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    I'm excited for this. I'm an Xfce user, but they are not jumping to Wayland anytime soon. I'll probably move to GNOME, but I'm not a big fan of it. I hope I can run Classic.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    Keep in mind that we still need egl drivers that include the wayland specific extension (forget what it's called).
    The free in-kernel drivers have worked with Wayland for years, and they are more than suitable for most people. People who need the few remaining strengths of the blob drivers will still have to wait a little while longer of course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X