Fedora 20 Moves Ahead With Wayland Tech Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Still, this is not asymmetrical enough. Canonical wants to be the main copyright holder and have every external contrbution under broad license. That is the kind of asymmetry that adds value when Mark is gonna sell his business and take off to space yet again. Every freaking disruptive move Canonical have made since its inception has added asymmetry. It was never about Gnome, Fd.o or Git weren't good enough, it was about Canonical couldn't exploit it to gain more asymmetry. It is the same reason they skipped kernel, systemd and X development; No asymmetrical advantages added to Canonical.
    Gnome Shell pushed Canonical into creating Unity as a response to the poor feedback Gnome was receiving for their new DE in combination for a UI that would scale similarly across several device form factors e.g. smartphone, desktop, TV so that users wouldn't have to learn a new UI on different devices.

Git started development on April 3, 2005, Bazaar was released on the 26 March 2005, so it wasn't as much Git wasn't good enough but it didn't really exist at the time.

Canonical has also put a lot of effort into Upstart, which is still being used in several projects including Chrome OS and OpenWebOS. Furthermore, more projects are adopting systemd and they're slowly forcing other projects to adopt frameworks that are fundamentally incompatible with non-Linux systems and the UNIX way in general.

So you see, it's not as clear cut as you'd like to imagine.
    And I would just like to point out that the EFL is the best toolkit library out there and better than the one you hold in high regard

Comment

You have been a good Ubuntu boy and listened to all the crap served by the Canonical community workers. Good for you, and that means Mark got some value for his money when he decided to hire propagandists instead of coders. Every "strategic technology decision" taken by Canonical for the last 8 years have ended in more CLA. That is hardly a coincidence.

Canonical using Bazaar instead of Git is still my favorite, but it might be topped by the joke called MIR.
      Damn, I've missed you Funkstar, you were always one to move the goalposts.
      Speaking of, it's a pity that your favourite GUI toolkit has only seen falling use in recent years. Oh well, GTK+ is hardly the best thing out there when we have wxwidgets, FLTK and the EFLs out there to use instead

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        The FSF uses CLAs too, much to Honton's, I mean Funkstar's chagrin.
        Yes, I remember, I'm not sure why I forgot about it. However, that's another kind of CLA. It's actually a copyright assignment, and even though it allows to relicense, I wouldn't expect the FSF to do so. The reason they give is that it makes them more able to protect the IP of the contributors in courts, if needed. It's still different from a "give us the right to sublicense" kind of CLA, since those are explicit in the fact that they want to relicense the code. One is a matter of trust, while the other is explicitly telling you they will relicense if it gives them good money, and that you can't relicense because they choose a restrictive license. And, I'd rather trust the FSF, but it's obviously a personal choice.

Comment

Name calling and tool kits? Nice try to cover up Canonical's wrongdoings.
          I wasn't trying to cover anything up Funkstar, I haven't explicitly denied any of your claims about Canonical that weren't based on incorrect data, I'm just making a statement about how GTK+'s use is falling in comparison to other, more adept toolkits.

Comment

Oh you were just trying to troll. Yeah good luck promoting any CLA tool kit. GTK is doing just fine and that is proved by Gnome doing very fine these days. And yes you can deny these facts, but I suggest you find another thread, since this one pretty much covers the ENORMOUS work done by Gnome the last release cycle
            The amount of work done doesn't necessarily means that they're doing a better job. Most of the work taken place on GTK3 has been rewriting the platform and breaking compatibility with GTK2.
            Compare that to the work that has taken place on FLTK, wxwidgets and the EFL's, the latter of which has added a large number of features in recent months and has seen widespread adoption in the embedded market through Tizen and other platforms.

Comment

LightDM is still in early development and not suitable for use in production systems.
              lol... that's an understatement. nothing says awesome like booting to a black screen due to a lightdm bug that was reported 2 years ago and placed on the ignore list.

i think it's safe to say it's not suitable for home user machines either. but sure enough it got pushed out.

thanks canonical for caring!

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                Gnome Shell pushed Canonical into creating Unity as a response to the poor feedback Gnome was receiving for their new DE in combination for a UI that would scale similarly across several device form factors e.g. smartphone, desktop, TV so that users wouldn't have to learn a new UI on different devices.
                Canonical forked Gnome libraries for their Apatana (sp?) project and try to shove patches that would specifically work for Ubuntu. Naturally, such suggested patches got rejected.

Canonical has also put a lot of effort into Upstart, which is still being used in several projects including Chrome OS and OpenWebOS. Furthermore, more projects are adopting systemd and they're slowly forcing other projects to adopt frameworks that are fundamentally incompatible with non-Linux systems and the UNIX way in general.
                Hold on a second. Apple made launchd which is the inspiration for systemd breaking the so-called UNIX way (init, rc, init.rc scripts, cron, xinetd) and was ported to FreeBSD.
                Upstart was made due to the licensing issue related to Apple launchd at that time (resolved too late) while retained the so-called UNIX way. It was the logical choice because it was better than the buggy SysV until the emergence of systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  Even Mozilla, which needs to update their Firefox's XUL backend for Wayland, haven't brought up another redesign...
                  So yeah, hopefully good and not too exciting times
                  Hasn't Australis or something by that name been in the works for Firefox for a while now?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                    Hasn't Australis or something by that name been in the works for Firefox for a while now?
                    You mean Azure or Azura, something like that? If you mean that, IIRC it's a replacement for Gecko.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      The fork would also be MIT licensed, forking does not change magically the license. Of course there would be no point at all in forking Wayland.
                      Forks can choose a different license since MIT license allows sub-licensing. Nothing stops a fork from choosing GPL + CLA or even a proprietary license.

Comment

Working...
                      X