Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    You have to be kidding when you say an 'actual Linux OS' and not just several privately developed frameworks layered on top of each other rather than the freely available community frameworks available out there.
    And there's also something that I don't trust about Intel, their past business dealings with SiS, VIA and AMD don't put them high in my support book.
    What frameworks are these? How is GNOME not a "freely available community framework"? Since, you know, Tizen's desktop version will be running GNOME shell (by default, and you will presumably be able to run any DE you like on top of it)?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
      It's not like Wayland is going to produce any money for Intel either.
      Oh, you think so?

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
        What frameworks are these? How is GNOME not a "freely available community framework"? Since, you know, Tizen's desktop version will be running GNOME shell (by default, and you will presumably be able to run any DE you like on top of it)?
        "Tizen uses GNOME Shell" = no users for Tizen.

Just get a Windows notebook and stop being cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
          last time i checked the patch was originally submitted by Christopher Halse Rogers - Canonical Ltd. and signed off and accepted by chris wilson. It is then later reverted by chris with the management statement. So how exactly is it invalid ?
          That must be why we see an Intel copyright added with this patch, but none by Canonical.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            "Tizen uses GNOME Shell" = no users for Tizen.

Just get a Windows notebook and stop being cheap.
            Oh go back under the bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Because it won't be using vanilla Gnome Shell, but rather a version that has been changed by Intel and Samsung.
              I personally don't know what incompatibilities they'll introduce, hopefully not enough to break plugins, but we'll see once their plan has been officially announced.

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                Because it won't be using vanilla Gnome Shell, but rather a version that has been changed by Intel and Samsung.
                I personally don't know what incompatibilities they'll introduce, hopefully not enough to break plugins, but we'll see once their plan has been officially announced.
                IIRC, GNOME Shell is GPL, which means if they changed it, it shall remain a free framework.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  IIRC, GNOME Shell is GPL, which means if they changed it, it shall remain a free framework.
                  Not necessarily, their version could become reliant on proprietary plugins to function, they might change that much code in Gnome Shell that it would break stuff if it got ported back upstream and from a legal perspective they might get away with adding proprietary parts that dynamically link against Gnome Shell.
                  While the FSF and the GPL state that dynamic linking means that the program using those GPL hooks would technically have to be GPL too, there's some ambiguity as to whether dynamic linking really creates a derived work or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    That must be why we see an Intel copyright added with this patch, but none by Canonical.
                    Sure it does but it also says

Signed-off-by: Christopher James Halse Rogers <[email protected]>
                    Signed-off-by: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>

From my understanding The sign-off-by certifies who wrote or is involved in the open-source patch.

So i am wrong about that? If not then why does Christopher appear on the signed-off ?

Comment

• Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                      Sure it does but it also says

Signed-off-by: Christopher James Halse Rogers <[email protected]>
                      Signed-off-by: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>

From my understanding The sign-off-by certifies who wrote or is involved in the open-source patch.

So i am wrong about that? If not then why does Christopher appear on the signed-off ?
                      Canonical has been writing these patches and Rogers sends them upstream.

All of this stuff has been well, well, well documented by our very own Michael:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X