Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    I assume OpenGL apps are going to either run as is, or be trivial to get running, on both Mir and Wayland, since both use the same lower level EGL driver stack which is what actually handles OpenGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      I assume OpenGL apps are going to either run as is, or be trivial to get running, on both Mir and Wayland, since both use the same lower level EGL driver stack which is what actually handles OpenGL.
      EGL/GLX only gives you an OpenGL context (a structure which manages video buffers, state changes, etc). You still need to talk to Wayland/Mir (through their APIs) to get a window surface in order to display OpenGL content, otherwise the Display Manager wouldn't know where to render the content. You can actually circumvent the DS entirely (which is how you get OpenGL to work on RaspberryPi right now), but you end up with a display that overlaps everything (and it's harder to do).

In case you don't know, SDL is a library which creates a window for you along with the OpenGL or DirectX context (through an DS agnostic API). It just hands you back the GL context so you can make video commands, but the Window it creates is largely limited to whatever SDL supports.. (there may be ways to get the underlying Wayland/Mir/Windows/Mac/etc surface pointers, idk, I haven't looked at it in awhile).
      Last edited by F i L; 10 September 2013, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        you know i can see a really usable Tizen desktop if that happens R.I.P. Ubuntu
        Why would Ubuntu alone die as a result of Tizen succeeding? Shouldn't you be singing R.I.P to other distros as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          Why would Ubuntu alone die as a result of Tizen succeeding? Shouldn't you be singing R.I.P to other distros as well?
          Other distros will use Wayland..

(forgive me if that's a bit out of context, i wasn't paying attention to the full conversation)

Comment

• Originally posted by F i L View Post
            Other distros will use Wayland..

(forgive me if that's a bit out of context, i wasn't paying attention to the full conversation)
            Then you really shouldn't have replied...

Comment

he's probably speculating that people would be drawn to Tizen over Ubuntu in the mobile space.... as a result of Intel's advertising budget vs Canonical's (just a guess).

rasta!

Comment

• Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                he's probably speculating that people would be drawn to Tizen over Ubuntu in the mobile space.... as a result of Intel's advertising budget vs Canonical's (just a guess).

rasta!
                He said Tizen desktop

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  if its not in Debian Stable or testing and if it's in Unstable that looks just like maintains for Ubuntu to me i been using Debian a long time i know how they roll some of the best server software in the world is Debian Stable
                  For someone using Debian a long time your knowledge how Debian development works is astonishingly low (read: seems to be not existent).
                  Think about stopping to post on this topic, so that you don't embarrass yourself even more.

Comment

Then you really shouldn't have replied...
                    Well it's possible that it was in-context and that i made a valid point, lol.. but yeah, probably right.

Comment

He said Tizen desktop
                      only read your quote, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X