Systemd-Logind Device Management For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    To my understanding this is not the case for Gnome 3.8 and newer hence Gnome 3.8 depends on systemd on Gentoo for example.
    It doesn't on Slackware.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
      Pot calling kettle black much? Show proof that people are actively trying to hurt BSD
      It doesn't work like that, the burden of proof isn't on me.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        It doesn't work like that, the burden of proof isn't on me.
        Why is that? The burden of proof is on to show that they are intentionally trying to cripple BSD which is your claim. Lennart has said that systemd depends on Linux kernel because it uses unique features of the kernel such as cgroup and he doesn't work on BSD and has no to motivation to care about BSD but hey, it is free software. So if some BSD developers want to develop equivalent features in the BSD kernels and port systemd over, they are free to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          if some BSD developers want to develop equivalent features in the BSD kernels and port systemd over, they are free to do so.
          Which as you know would not happen due to the copyleft license of systemd, but as you said it's free software.
          If the Gnome team wants to isolate themselves from non-Linux systems then they are free to do so, but they'll be sacrificing marketshare as a result.
          The same goes for Wayland if they feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            What? That makes no sense. How could a bug (what bug are you even refering to here?) in systemd possibly add dependencies to Gnome? Gnome dropping support for ConsoleKit is not systemd's fault. Also systemd-logind is not intended to be used separately from systemd so it's not a "bug" if it doesn't work without systemd as PID1. The API however is stable and reimplementable and porting systemd-logind to other environments is possible, it just requires you to do some work (especially after systemd 205+).
            Let me see if I can find it. I didnt really understand what I read because it was a bit over my head so I may have simply misunderstood. If I can find it I'll post the link here. It had something to do with cgroup handling getting removed from logind. Then there were some issues with gdm not working right.

edit: found it

it seems the problem comes down to the fact that logind can't be run by itself. it must have systemd to work.
            Carbon60 is Canada’s preeminent cloud adoption, migration and managed cloud services provider. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare, SOC2 and PCI compliance.

here is what the consolekit ebuild maintainer had to say
            Carbon60 is Canada’s preeminent cloud adoption, migration and managed cloud services provider. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare, SOC2 and PCI compliance.

here is a guy who claims to have gotten it to work with openrc
            Last edited by duby229; 25 August 2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Which as you know would not happen due to the copyleft license of systemd, but as you said it's free software. If the Gnome team wants to isolate themselves from non-Linux systems then they are free to do so, but they'll be sacrificing marketshare as a result. The same goes for Wayland if they feel the same.
              Since, neither GNOME nor Wayland has a hard dependency on systemd, you don't really have a case.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Since, neither GNOME nor Wayland has a hard dependency on systemd, you don't really have a case.
                gnome does seem to have a hard dependency on logind though, which itself wont work without systemd, sooooooo....... what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  gnome does seem to have a hard dependency on logind though, which itself wont work without systemd, sooooooo....... what's the difference?
                  logind use on upstart by Ubuntu defeated your whole argument.

Comment

Originally posted by crrodriguez View Post
                    Making stuff work in BSDs is the responsibility of BSD developers, nobody else is to blame for stuff not working in BSDs. Also, last time I check, Wayland only worked in linux as it depends on kernel DRM stack.
                    The more I read topic related about BSDs, the more it appears BSD is responsible of its own downfall for nearly twenty years to the point GNU/Linux surpassed that project long time ago.
                    BSD had their chance and needed a complete overhaul within the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      logind use on upstart by Ubuntu defeated your whole argument.
                      that's version 204. doesnt work on 205 and up. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd see for yourself.
                      Last edited by duby229; 26 August 2013, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X