The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    Did Mark ever say it will run native? Cause they have XMir for other DEs...
    If it's running on XMir, it's running on X, not on Mir.

Comment

• Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      Did Mark ever say it will run native? Cause they have XMir for other DEs...
      This is why Kubunutu is going to Run Wayland "I observed incorrect behavior being shown in the video. I'm pretty sure nobody has noticed so far, you need to know KWin very well to notice it. And that's the point why I recommended to Kubuntu developers to not use XMir in their stack"

Comment

• Looks Like the Performance Penalty Of a Space Toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          Games don't use toolkits like Qt (except some games like KDE-Games).
          You misread my post, I did not say they did. When I spoke about games I specifically mentioned SDL, which many opengl game developers use, which has both mir and wayland backends being worked on (for SDL2).

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It would be interesting to see a three-way comparison of X.org, XMir and XWayland.

Or a five-way comparison of X.org, XMir and XWayland, native Mir, native Wayland.
            And what would you compare? XMir is incapable of running rootless... It would be like comparing Apple to Orange. And there are no programs so far that would run on all three natively, especially benchmarks.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              This is why Kubunutu is going to Run Wayland "I observed incorrect behavior being shown in the video. I'm pretty sure nobody has noticed so far, you need to know KWin very well to notice it. And that's the point why I recommended to Kubuntu developers to not use XMir in their stack"
              Kubuntu will use wayland because that is what upstream KDE will be using.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                Kubuntu will use wayland because that is what upstream KDE will be using.
                and they see whats going on a good move for them to getting away from Ubuntu's Android-style of Development and have full upstream Support

Comment

Hmm remember what Martin Said? "But I have doubt that KWin will work just fine on top of Mir" http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ces-of-ubuntu/

i see it as the BSD Beast
                  http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...for-commercial
                  As said before, there's nothing wrong with the BSD license.
                  It's still a FOSS license, contrary to what you're FUDing there.

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    As said before, there's nothing wrong with the BSD license.
                    It's still a FOSS license, contrary to what you're FUDing there.
                    Not all Opensource license's are Free license's you can't call them the same thing see the FSF for more info

oops forgot to point out the Key here "unlikely that we would be able to open source the commercial" so its going to be Proprietary if they go down that road

Discussion of *BSD operating systems and software, including but not limited to FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Mac OS X, GNU Hurd, and other alternative operating systems can also be discussed.
                    Last edited by LinuxGamer; 07 August 2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Not all Opensource license's are Free license's you can't call them the same thing see the FSF for more info
                      However, the BSD license (3 or 2 clause) is both free (as in freedom) as it permits the source code to be used, modified and distributed by everyone and open source.
                      The BSD license is permissive, meaning that you don't have to publish your source code under the same license as the original work.
                      It's surprising how many people in the OSS community don't get this and immediately think BSD == proprietary, even though it's a FOSS license approved by both the FSF and OSI.

Comment

Working...
                      X