GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    So, as an end user, will I get better performance from Wayland? Will the transitions/animations be smoother in Gnome Shell? Will dragging a window be smoother? Also, will Wayland have any effects on OpenGL performance?
    Overall it will probably improve performance.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      X11 and Wayland aren't operating systems, so the comparison is invalid anyway.
      That was kinda the point I was making. I was kinda drunk when I wrote that reply. I'm sure it tells. Beer fan here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Overall it will probably improve performance.
        Mentioning "probably" implies that performance improvement may or may not be even noticeable. I was hopping that Gnome Shell animations will be able to hit 60fps on my Sandy Bridge machine

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
          Regarding Oxygen-gtk, that is a theme for Gtk to make it look like Qt.
          Which is only needed because GTK refuses to implement compatibility with Qt themes. Qt is compatible with GTK themes, so this sort of thing isn't needed on Qt (or, by extension KDE).

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Mentioning "probably" implies that performance improvement may or may not be even noticeable. I was hopping that Gnome Shell animations will be able to hit 60fps on my Sandy Bridge machine
            The limiting factor here under X is gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

The limiting factor under Wayland will be gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

Plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose.

Comment

Empty claim. Let me help you a bit: GNOME uses .desktop files and MIME types. Things invented by GNOME. Oh wait, no, KDE! OMG how can this be? All the Phoronix trolls GNOME suffers from NIH. OMG, what happened?!?

Provide a reference that the reason colord was started because the existing thing is KDE. There could be several reasons why some existing thing was not used. Loads of people here are claiming NIH, prove it already!
              Okay, wow, lets see, where even to start. dbus, tracker, gvfs and gio, forking shared desktop ontologies, nautilus actions, the notification spec, and their refusal to participate in the fdo metadata project.

Comment

Empty claim by you, yet again.
                I guess you have never heard of gstreamer, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  This is apparently a common source of confusion.

There is no such thing as a FDO standard. Freedesktop.org is not a standards body. Anyone can host any desktop related project there and some of the projects hosted there are very distro specific etc. Just because something is in freedesktop.org doesn't mean that it is automatically adopted by all desktop environments. However what is widely adopted is some of the freedesktop.org specs and specifications obviously are not implementation dependent.
                  You do know the url for the fdo specifications is, right? http://standards.freedesktop.org/

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
                    The limiting factor here under X is gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

The limiting factor under Wayland will be gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

Plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose.
                    No, it is more like:
                    the limiting factors under X are: gnome-shell, clutter, mesa and the whole X architecture.
                    the limiting factors under Wayland are: gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

There are a lot of things that are broken by design in X and not because others project bugs or wrong implementation. A lot of things that are totally unacceptable these days (we are in 2013!!).

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                      no, it is more like:
                      The limiting factors under x are: Gnome-shell, clutter, mesa and the whole x architecture.
                      The limiting factors under wayland are: Gnome-shell, clutter and mesa.

There are a lot of things that are broken by design in x and not because others project bugs or wrong implementation. A lot of things that are totally unacceptable these days (we are in 2013!!).
                      rotflmfao.

Comment

Working...
                      X