GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    So yes, by shear coincidence it turned out that the only binary incompatible release of gstreamer happened close to the release of the next binary incompatible release of KDE, and Gstreamer is popular enough that the 0.10 series will likely still be packaged by that point.
    The next openSUSE release wants to kill GStreamer 0.10. I'm not sure whether GStreamer 1.0 will be used by Phonon or libVLC. I've heard both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
      No matter how many self-imposed limitations KDE add to them self
      Yes, giving itself the flexibility to switch at runtime between back-ends for GStreamer, VLC, Xine,? is really limiting.

Gnome Reality Distortion Field. LOL. No surprise there from a project founded by a Microsoft fanboy.

Comment

That is quite contrary to Gnome who uses their summer summit to push Wayland
        Or using your reasoning, you could say there isn't enough going on in the GNOME project so they had to include Wayland to pad it out.

Comment

You know it is the other way around. KDE is lagging behind and now they need to partner with Blackberry. *Meeting new friends at palliative care*

The phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" comes to mind, please do enlighten me how KDE is lagging behind, I'd be very interested to know. You may also want to give chlorpromazine a try, hopefully it will clear your delusions right up.

Comment

Gstreamer 0.8, 0.10 and 1.x are parallel installable.
            The support for 0.10 was dropped nearly immediately after the release of 1.0 so it would be a security nightmare in a long run, not to mention the problem with various dependencies of GStreamer.

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            You probably meant: Wasting time and effort on supporting multiple backends.
            If GStreamer was so great that might be an argument but it isn't. Like I previously mentioned it wasn't really portable enough for Qt that also runs on Windows. Now years later that issue might have been solved. It didn't support 10-bit H.264 for a long time, rendering itself useless for me. It had some serious issues with .ASS subtitles, again rendering itself useless for me. It also didn't or still doesn't support VDPAU...

You know it is the other way around. KDE is lagging behind and now they need to partner with Blackberry. *Meeting new friends at palliative care*
            Partner with BlackBerry? What the fuck are you talking about? Blackberry uses Qt so it's quite obvious that they would sponsor and speak at a Qt summit.

that is probably why the they have to co-host their summer summit with Qt
            Eh...? I would think that's a good thing. Collaboration between communities is a strenght, not a weakness. Thanks to the Qt Open Governance and KDE Frameworks 5 there has been a lot more collaboration between KDE and Qt projects.

tKDE lost many friends lately...
            That's quite amusing to hear from a Gnome fanboy...

Comment

I didn't make the statistics, KDE did (mamarok on behalf of KDE). If you don't like the fact that KDE is slowing down, do something about it.
              No you didn't make the statistics but it is you who are inferring something from them without backing it up from other sources. Unfortunately, yet again you are making assertions that you seem unable to meaningfully back up.

I cannot understand your irrational hatred for KDE, you should be happy there is a good range of DE's for people to choose from. If you don't like it for the sake of not liking it, that's fine as it is your choice. However your apparent need to conduct a mini crusade against KDE on here and over-glorify what is going on in the GNOME camp is going far beyond simple fanboyism. I can't help feel you are either some kind of a shill, or if you really believe the nonsense you say, then I feel sorry for you.

Comment

KDE lost many friends lately, that is probably why the they have to co-host their summer summit with Qt, hire key note speakers who never tried KDE and have Blackberry as event sponsor That is quite contrary to Gnome
                Yes, KDE co-hosts with other projects (Qt, BlackBerry, Razor) because KDE does not suffer from NIH syndrome. Thanks for finally agreeing with me!

Comment

Considering 0.10 and 1.x are parallel installable makes the transistion easy and KDE could just make major release. Problem solved.
                  It would still mean that every single application must be ported one after another and not just a single back-end.
                  You once again are agreeing with me that less required work is better. You finally start to see the light.

Comment

• Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
                    No you didn't make the statistics but it is you who are inferring something from them without backing it up from other sources. Unfortunately, yet again you are making assertions that you seem unable to meaningfully back up.
                    Those statistics are from Ohloh.net. It's quite clear that there's some error in them. There's absolutely no way for KDE to have doubled it contributions in a less than a year (2009) and suddendly drop back to normal in another (during the git transition in 2010). Also the Gnome project in Ohloh.net includes projects like NetworkManager and GStreamer that KDE also uses. It also includes GTK+, glib and other low level technologies that Qt provides for KDE. One huge group of contributors that can totally mess those statistics are translators.

Originally posted by Honton
                    KDE mingles with Blackberry because Blackberry is a targeted platform by Qt. As usual KDE does what their Qt Master commands. *Love Blackberry, Love this dead-end soon to be terminated closed source patent-loving leftover from the last millennium*
                    I have followed KDE quite actively and haven't seen that mentality anywhere. However as KDE tries to be portable it would make little sense not to port some applications to BlackBerry but so far I don't think that has happened. BlackBerry has also released quite a bit of open source software. I don't see a reason for your hate.

Having Gstreamer 0.10 would never have been a problem if there was a need. Considering 0.10 and 1.x are parallel installable makes the transistion easy and KDE could just make major release. Problem solved.
                    A major release because a multimedia framework released a new version? Then do a new major release when new Qt release is released? You can't be serious.

That is right Qt decides for KDE. That is Qts NIH which decides for KDE. We all know.
                    No? What makes you think that KDE developers don't want to bring their applications for Windows? This has absolutely nothing to do with NIH either.

Having Qt to decide against doing cross-desktop is not collaboration, that is NIH.
                    You seriously have to come up with sources to make such claims. I'm pretty sure that Phonon wasn't started because Trolltech but because the technical limitations in GStreamer.

Do you really like the fact that was used to be software under LGPL now is under Qt's contributor license and thus exists at an upstream where closed source versions and non-linux platforms have a higher priority?
                    It's still under LGPL2.1+ license and yes I see the collaboration as progress. Digia heavily contributes to Qt and the licensing doens't limit the use of the open source version so I don't find it as being a huge problem. To me it seems that Linux is by far the most important platform for Digia/Qt. Not only does Digia maintain their own Linux distribution (Boot 2 Qt), they also support multiple windowing systems on Linux, they have written a Wayland compositors and so on and so forth.

The porting is EASY.
                    It still relies on someone maintaining the code. The thing about software is that there's numerous projects that have been abandoned for variety of reasons. Thanks to binary compatibility you can still keep using the without an issue. Also it makes easier for outside contributors to target the platform.

Comment

KDE went for the solution that Trolltech liked, not the one the free desktops needed.
                      My own free desktop needs VLC, not GStreamer. Thanks KDE for not suffering from NIH syndrome and letting me choose which framework I like. \o/

Even KDEs dwindling contributor share could manage it.
                      Dwindling to the same level as Gnome, according to the graph you posted, but in KDE's case not counting Qt and other 3rd party frameworks that KDE does not feel the need for to develop in-house, whereas Gome's stats include GTK and various Mono crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X