X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I so stopped giving a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      I don't have a problem with Mir being used for Ubuntu, as Unity is already an Ubuntu-specific interface that's extremely difficult to get working on other distros. But it's just silly to expect other people to support Mir so far ahead, without the technical means or the social imperative to do so.
      Yea... When even the name "Ubuntu Desktop" is hardcoded into Unity's source code, you know that it's not portable in the slightest...

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      So how does the Windows support look like? There are progams like Okular for Windows, which probably isn't that dramatic considering that Qt is a multiplatform framework. If you could enlighten me on how to run the complete KDE Plasma Workspace with KWin on Windows 7 I will forever praise you as the King of the Internet.
      Not KWin, but you can run Plasma just fine: http://www.linuxhaxor.net/kde-on-win...-its-own-turf/

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
      I switched from Kubuntu to Opensuse Kde. I was resistant to Opensuse because of their deal with Microsoft but generally they seem to be a distro that seeks to empower users and support the wider community. Debian does not use SystemD. It seems to me that convergence on Wayland and SystemD is the way forward.
      openSUSE never had any deals with Microsoft. Novell did, and Novell developed SUSE, not openSUSE. The whole point of openSUSE is that it's completely community-driven.

Also, man, you really should pay attention to capitalisation It's not Opensuse, not OpenSuse, not OpenSuSE, it's openSUSE. It's also not SystemD, not systemD, not SyStEmD, it's systemd.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      That looks really nice...very nice actually. Thank you. @liam I'm not *really* considering Windows, I was just a little upset and commented before doing any research beyond Debian. I do have a few more questions if you don't mind. I have some Games I bought in Deb format, is their any chance of getting those installed in OpenSUSE? Also, does Steam work? and what is the Stability like in OpenSUSE?.
      Most of that was already answered, but to expand a bit on your stability question, it's somewhere in the middle. They're not conservative like Debian and not bleeding-edge like Fedora. They try to have the default software be as issue-free as possible while making sure it's not very outdated (so, for instance, 12.3 doesn't yet have LibreOffice 4; you can still install it from custom repositories, though). Overall they're more to the "unstable" end of the spectrum as opposed to the "conservative" one, but overall it's very near the middle.

You can also check out Mageia. They are also somewhere in the middle, but more to the conservative end of the spectrum. They also have things like Steam and very easy to install drivers (it's overall geared towards ease of use).

Comment

In light of the current situation, I will definitely not be buying anything else from the Software Center and thankfully only bought two or three things. RC Mini Racers and Torchlight, steam and desura offers none of those sadly. I was just looking at OpenSUSE Xfce version (I like Xfce) there doesn't seem to be a 1 click install for the Multimedia Codecs, only for Gnome and KDE. From my reading, it looks as if OpenSUSE wanted to bring in something like Ubuntu's Software Center where Games etc could be sold, that would be cool I think.
        Codecs are codecs, they aren't DE-specific. XFCE uses GTK, so the "GNOME" codecs should work just fine. It just might install a bit too many unnecessary dependencies.

And yes, there are plans to have an "app store". Personally I really don't care about it, YaST package management is already top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Codecs are codecs, they aren't DE-specific. XFCE uses GTK, so the "GNOME" codecs should work just fine. It just might install a bit too many unnecessary dependencies.

And yes, there are plans to have an "app store". Personally I really don't care about it, YaST package management is already top notch.
          Codes are something for gstreamer. It can be used by KDE, GNOME, others. That does not rely on GTK+ or Qt (might rely on glib).

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
            Codes are something for gstreamer. It can be used by KDE, GNOME, others. That does not rely on GTK+ or Qt (might rely on glib).
            Yes, that's exactly my point. Although IIRC the 1-Click Install also pulls in media players, and those do depend on GTK or Qt.

Comment

The Ubuntu Developers just need to Support Wayland and get it over with and stop being Huge Dbags Ubuntu can keep Mir just add a little support for Wayland like Ubuntu said it was going to what 3 years ago? its going to be harder for them not to support wayland then support it do to KDE LXDE Xfce E17 and Gnome all working on Wayland support (or did LXDE fall of the map?)

Comment

In light of the current situation, I will definitely not be buying anything else from the Software Center and thankfully only bought two or three things. RC Mini Racers and Torchlight, steam and desura offers none of those sadly. I was just looking at OpenSUSE Xfce version (I like Xfce) there doesn't seem to be a 1 click install for the Multimedia Codecs, only for Gnome and KDE. From my reading, it looks as if OpenSUSE wanted to bring in something like Ubuntu's Software Center where Games etc could be sold, that would be cool I think.
                Just sayin', Torchlight is free from GOG for a day, unfortunately only for Windows and Mac Os X
                Torchlight. A booming mining town that grew up around unbelievably rich veins of Ember, t

Comment

Rick Spencer ex-microsoftie must really be proud of himself now. This is so like Elop 2.0.

And Bacon, is brainless bacon (rude, but accurate).

Mark, isn't it all about opencore? Whats the sense to call something *ubuntu*, if its not *ubuntu* ?
                  Last edited by brosis; 18 June 2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu: Upstart & Mir
                    Gentoo: OpenRC & Wayland
                    Slackware\BSD: sysvinit & X.org
                    Everyone else: systemd & Wayland

The entire situation could be summed up with systemd and wayland being such a done deal, not even the excellent OpenRC can stand a chance let alone Ubuntu. A year ago I could imagine Patrick going postal over systemd's non-*nix design and deciding Slackware will adopt OpenRC. But now, I don't even think OpenRC would have much of a chance surviving in Gentoo let alone in Slackware. And the DRI(\DRM) kernel stuff Wayland is designed around is actually a welcomed improvement over the original *nix design so not even Patrick could oppose that on principle for long.
                    So, considering Wayland is even more straight forward a decision since it doesn't sacrifice anything Mir doesn't, what hope is there for Mir? Mir brings nothing to the table so I just don't see the point to it.
                    Now, if they were to say they're going back to the *nix roots and are writing a module for composition and windowing right in the kernel, I'd say they'd at least have some merit...

Comment

I was just looking at OpenSUSE Xfce version (I like Xfce) there doesn't seem to be a 1 click install for the Multimedia Codecs, only for Gnome and KDE.
                      I'm not entirely familiar with how the xfce version differs from standard, but this link has a 1 click codec install that i think would probably work fine. If you're nervous about what that's doing behind the scenes, that same page has the manual instructions - basically just add the packman repository, and install several packages listed from there.

As for how updated opensuse usually is, I agree that it's slightly in the middle. It used to have a 9 month release schedule, compared to the 6 month releases of Fedora and Ubuntu. When it first comes out, it uses very new packages, but probably slightly less bleeding edge than Fedora or Ubuntu. By the end of the 9 months, it was definitely older. However, I think they recently changed their release policy. I can't remember exactly what they changed - if it's no timed schedule at all anymore, or what. So that may be slightly in flux right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X