• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Hey look who decided to join the party haha
    hello there!

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      nVidia and Intel?
      Maybe you meant nVidia and AMD proprietary driver.
      About Intel, there are no problems, as you probably know, their official drivers are open and delivered with the kernel.
      About the open driver of nVidia and AMD, as you can read, they work because are open and then easy to adapt.
      For the binary blob, the situation is different because only who have access to the code (the nVidia and AMD internal devs) can implement the needed modification.
      I asked my questiones the way I asked them deliberately. Wayland is the future. Linux that provides good gaming experience is the future. Thus... no open source drivers for nVidia and ATI/AMD graphics mentioned in my posts! My question has been answered, may I add.

As for the Intel drivers. It was not obvious to me that open source drivers translates directly to Wayland compatibility. Hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
        And i must say also that i'm used to build and load my own kernels... and that squeezes a little bit more of performance and battery life out of them.

...or harms performance/battery unless you really know what you are doing.
        Have you by any chance kept your benchmark results for the various kernel configs?

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
          yes, it's axial, hence the separate x and y co-ordinates. it's signed so you can place subsurfaces outside the bounds of the parent, e.g. to do external decorations.
          Ok, that makes sense for the local coordinates Wayland requires of its clients, but it looked like X was using the same scheme, and negative values would've taken windows offscreen (I guess that might be useful....)?

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
            Not all of them do - some people still have apps using older toolkits such as Xaw & Motif that they still want to run.
            Wow, Motif. Now that's bringing back some old programming memories. Mostly bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Qt4, GTK2, and other-toolkit apps
              There are some other apps directly depending on X, instead of any toolkit. At least, a hobby project I'm working on (I didn't develop it, I'm just updating the *nix port since it was abandoned and some changes in the Windows side broke it) does rely only on X and OpenGL for graphics. That's probably ugly. I didn't look to the X code yet. I'll need to, but I'm a bit scared of what I could find there.

Comment

Backwards compatibility

would most games require Xwayland?

In this case i'm thinking of Neverwinter Nights, which I know uses sdl, I don't know how that relates to any thing though

and what about a given gtk3 app would that app be compatable once gtk3 supports wayland or does the developer have to update it to support wayland?

Comment

ericg can you confirm this for me? as far as i understand the pixel-perfect motto is not entirely true. on both osx and windows I sometimes get artifacts, so I don't think wayland can overcome that? or can it

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    ericg can you confirm this for me? as far as i understand the pixel-perfect motto is not entirely true. on both osx and windows I sometimes get artifacts, so I don't think wayland can overcome that? or can it
                    I know that if Wayland works as planned....You should never get artifacts. No tearing, no chunking, no flashing, no flickering. Nothing. As far the exact details of how, thats a question for Daniel or maybe even just the Wayland mailing list.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• How will Wayland work with graphics tablets, particularly on multiple monitor setups? My tablet works great as long as I stick to a single monitor, but if I add in one of my other monitors into the mix working with the tablet quickly becomes a real pain. The main way I tried to deal with it is to bind the tablet to a single monitor using a coordinate transformation matrix with xinput, which works to limit the tablet to the screen I want but programs seem to at least partially ignore it, so that the further I get from the top left corner of an application the further my lines drift away from the cursor position making design work a nightmare in a multiscreen situation. It would be really nice if Wayland can allow me to make use of my tablet at the same time as the 2 spare monitors I have collecting dust at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X