No announcement yet.

Kubuntu, KDE Has Little Hope For Ubuntu's Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that the pq's work on subsurfaces is been completed, the Mir team can copy another piece of code to show to all the people that they have implemented the subsurfaces in Mir 10 times more speedily that the Wayland devs. :-)

But there is another possibility: if they are not able to understand the pq work on subsurfaces, then they can simply acclaim that the subsurfaces don't fit their need.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
      If they had this sort of influence they should not need libhybris. So apparently they have not the power to get Nvidia and the rest to care about their armplattform (probably their prio 1 platform this days). Why are you so sure it is different with the x86 platform?
      Or, it is not so hard to use libhybris and convince nvidia to cater to ubuntu's needs in android drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        yes, the same garanties about flashplugin, skype etc... ahahaaha
        What? Skype has priority support for Debian / Ubuntu and is shipped in 'partner' repo.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
          That's the time when everybody was behind Wayland. Now, with largest desktop Linux player ditching Wayland, plans could really change... not in favour of the latter.
          This. Read : http://samohtv.wordpress.com/2013/03...as-a-new-home/

Especially

More to this, we are working together with NVIDIA towards a more unified driver model sitting on top of EGL.
          And : https://plus.google.com/u/0/11388314...ts/QwMqCgC7c9G

We're talking with NVIDIA and AMD to get support for running Mir on their proprietary drivers, and providing an interface for proprietary drivers in general.
          Maybe Wayland will also benefit from it, maybe it won't. But Mir will - obviously

Furthermore, what do you think which side (i.e.) game devs will stick to? A bunch of people hating 24/7 and sitting on a scattered landscape of linux distros or simply Ubuntu? I'd hate to see such a separation, but it seems it's going to happen. I'd also love to stick with KDE, but .. well :/
          Last edited by alexThunder; 15 May 2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

nvidia and others

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            If they had this sort of influence they should not need libhybris. So apparently they have not the power to get Nvidia and the rest to care about their armplattform (probably their prio 1 platform this days). Why are you so sure it is different with the x86 platform?
            i dont have any certain, only logic view. we need to wait and see. what i really want is the end of xorg and a beggin of new display server, one who works with new graphics systems like windows do

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
              What? Skype has priority support for Debian / Ubuntu and is shipped in 'partner' repo.

skype is on 4.1 version, and on windows is 6.1, , not apps, bad ui, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                skype is on 4.1 version, and on windows is 6.1, , not apps, bad ui, etc etc
                skype for linux is sufficient for me, i dont need facebook on it. i use it every day no problems.

Comment

Hmm...

KDE, the only hope for the Linux world?...

Seriously, I really applaud these guys. They are the only one who understand that if you want the same DE on multiple devices then "same base, different UI" is the right approach. And they also have healthy view on the current situation in Ubuntu (it's not OpenSource, just because you slam GPL on it...). I really hope they will last.

Also, have anybody seen funkSTAR? Lately he is too silent

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                    This. Read : http://samohtv.wordpress.com/2013/03...as-a-new-home/

Especially

Maybe Wayland will also benefit from it, maybe it won't. But Mir will - obviously
                    Doesn't really mean anything. Canonical has announced partners before which newer appeared. Even if Nvidia do look at it we do not know if it ever materializes, maybe maybe not...

Furthermore, what do you think which side (i.e.) game devs will stick to? A bunch of people hating 24/7 and sitting on a scattered landscape of linux distros or simply Ubuntu? I'd hate to see such a separation, but it seems it's going to happen. I'd also love to stick with KDE, but .. well :/
                    Valve has probably Canonical has theirs prioritized partner. But know one know what happens in the future, it's much up to third part. Valve is not the first time big Game companies invested in linux. Ten years ago both ID software and Bioware had linux products. The trend for Steam in linux don't look that good, at least if you read phoronix. Hopefully some good console supported from valve based on linux really do appear.

Comment

ROLF Rolling On Laughing Floor

edit: Sorry. I had to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X