Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Even if Mir end up inferior it will run on both phones and desktops. Canonical will push for it and they seem to have some connections with the big players. What you don't understand is that not the best from the tehnical point of view wins. Most of the times politics win. That's how it is in the real world and that is how it is even in the geeky linux world of people who say they hate politics and try to hide from it because they suck at it. As you might have noticed power isn't gathered by the brightest or best or whatever but by those who know how to play the game. Canonical is better at this and have lot of money to use in order to impose their view. You may not like it but unless you're a multimillionaire you'll just learn to play along nicely. Canonical has been founded by Shuttleworth. Because he is rich. How exactly are you gonna counter that? Ubuntu is here to stay. And yes they have enough political power to impose their views if necessary. Right now I think their views reflect the needs of the users better than what the 'community' came up with lately. So them forcing others is actually doing the end users a service. And those are the only ones that matter. Especially if you want to solve bug #1.
    BO$$, have you even read what you wrote? Let me paraphrase it.

It doesn't matter if Canonical ends up making shoddy software, because they have plenty money, plenty marketshare and they have enough influence on their partners to get their way. In the end it doesn't matter what you want as a user, Canonical has enough power to shove their stuff down your throat. It is their way or the high way.

You might not object to this now because what Canonical pursues at the moment is what you want to see as a user, but what if your needs and wishes stop having overlap with what Canonical is pursuing business-wise? If Canonical succeeds in being the end all, be all of desktop Linux and they shift away from making what YOU want as a consumer, what is your recourse then?

Let me also put a mildly altered version of my paraphrase here:

It doesn't matter if Microsoft ends up making shoddy software, because they have plenty money, plenty marketshare and they have enough influence on their partners to get their way. In the end it doesn't matter what you want as a user, Microsoft has enough power to shove their stuff down your throat. It is their way or the high way.

I have to ask, what is the point of fixing bug #1 if you become bug #2 in the process? (Except becoming the benefitting, replacement predator.)

Comment

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
      No, but facts do!
      Ubuntu is THE Linux Distribution with major market share and Valve would be stupid not to support it.
      Pls go home troll.
      Shuttleworth, oh Shuttleworth
      our glorious leader
      bless our children, kiss our babies
      grace us with your divine presence
      we salute you
      oh glorious leader!

RAH RAH RAH RAH

Comment

Hmm let's see. I think I got it: money and power! Yeah, I guess that's it. You are basically arguing why it's important to be in power. For you maybe it's good not to be in power but luckily others don't think like that.
        if ubuntu had money, unity would be something good and not what is now, ubuntu only has marketing, ubuntu doesn't help on graphics stack, doesn't help on kernel development, doesn't help on nothing, only use technologies created by others and put on the top, unity.
        But...you are a simply ubuntu fanboy and you won't rcognize nothing...

Comment

Hmm let's see. I think I got it: money and power! Yeah, I guess that's it. You are basically arguing why it's important to be in power. For you maybe it's good not to be in power but luckily others don't think like that.
          BO$$, are you implying you are in power with Ubuntu? That would make you either Jane Silber or angel investor Mark S.

Comment

Oh we completely get how it is good for Canonical to become the new Microsoft. What he asked was how is it good for you?

Comment

Technical merits might not matter for Canonical; it does matter for the rest of the GNU/Linux platform. So while Ubuntu may have the influence and popularity, the others will have the superior technology. And so we, the users of the less popular, but technologically superior distributions, will overall be happier.

Comment

Where where? Give me a major distro that comes with wayland by default!.
                Not a major, but certainly a very interesting one:
                http://www.maui-project.org/ (DE is called Hawaii)
                That's the beauty of F/OSS, I for one never want 1 totally hegemonic distro.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                  Not a major, but certainly a very interesting one:
                  http://www.maui-project.org/ (DE is called Hawaii)
                  That's the beauty of F/OSS, I for one never want 1 totally hegemonic distro.
                  it looks wonderful

Comment

Yawn. Nothing to see here move along. Nobody in their right mind would use that as the main OS. Please god not another DE. Not another DE please. We will have a million DEs not one of them complete and usable.
                    Please show me, a distro for desktop with mir and the same advanced development than maui

Comment

Right now they are the best distro so more power to them would bring more software to linux and make it better all around. In fact a lot of people would benefit if Canonical would become the new Microsoft. Of course once they have 90+% of the market monopolistic behavior is inevitable but until then, there is a long way. You are trying to kill Canonical before it even got over 1% thinking that they sell out if they become successful.
                      The best distro? LoL.
                      let me guess your background....Windows user until a little time ago where you split between Windows and Ubuntu. Haven't tried anything else nor do you care.

The good thing is I usually have to pay to see clowns in actions. Not anymore...

Comment

Working...
                      X