GNOME Will Move Full-Speed With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Oh really ?!? How about minimize and maximize ?!? Unless, some last day patch solved the problem, is not *fully* working , AFAIK.

If it's not fully working a simple thing as minimize and maximize (and if it's *WAITING* for toolkits and DEs) , is not fully working, YMMV.

Specs mean squat for end users till they are fully implemented, YMMV.
    i got enough of explain the infamous minimize situation to every iliterate that take it as flag to defend any crazy notion it has on wayland, so look in forum i explained enough.

wayland and mir require a massive rework of many massive projects and both will take time to be fully implemented[mir or not is still 2 or 3 years either one you choose] but well i guess since you most likely has never written any serious code you will response another dude nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Why even entertain the idea that a handful of volunteers is going to scour through some documentation and come up with a driver better than what the engineers who work with the very designers of the hardware can do? If one is aiming for mediocrity then yeah, there's no compelling reason to work hand-in-hand with the vendors to get a smooth user experience. But for a distro looking to move beyond the 1%, mediocrity isn't going to cut it.
      "Properly integrates with my system" sounds like a failure of the system. It's amazing how all those ARM SoC vendors got their drivers to integrate so well with Android. Then again Google was actually focused on marketshare rather than pleasing "the community".
      well another "dude i wanna play crysis so i don't care how" response and as follower in G+ of many Google android developers i can only laugh at your ignorance until i cannot cry anymore.

please restraint to post when the subject is outside of your scope of understanding [if the android/arm driver was meant as a joke, you will make many devs laugh their hearts out in the next Google I/O]

I make a motion to bring Q back, this new generation of VisualBasic for Dummies trolls are boring

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Yes, support is there on the KMS side, and the wayland side it not insurmountable, but it still needs to be done. The functionality is there from a kernel perspective (the open source X drivers use KMS as well), but there's still a fair amount of work to deal with it properly in wayland. You'd need to deal with things like differing GL capabilities across different cards, etc. Probably the easiest method to deal with multi-gpu is to decouple display and rendering. That way you can have a consistent set of rendering capabilities for all displays. E.g., you pick one GPU to render and then the relevant data is copied to the appropriate GPU(s) for display. To do this optimally you also need some sort of generic fencing mechanism in the kernel. Maarten Lankhorst was working on this at one point.
        yeap i missed the GPU fencing part but i think would be only neccesary for complex Gl apps since the compositor should be able to determine the profile in each gpu and set the preferred codepath in runtime or simply use a low level common code path like GLES 2 which i far as i understand is supported in every gallium driver[opposed to 3.0 which is only on intel/r600g drivers]

Comment

And hence why Fedora isn't a distro for most end-users.

Not to pick on them alone, because frankly this "who gives a f about proprietary drivers" mentality seems to be widely held by "the community" and it's evident in the end product. And that's precisely why the stuff put out by "the community" is wholly inadequate for your typical user... and thus why we need a distro backed by a company that understands the needs of most users and not just l33t arrogant pricks.
          Arrogant enough to expose proprietary drivers flaws like 4kstacks, remember? Avoiding proprietary stuff taking hostage the entire FOSS development is much sane approach. Luckily for those proprietary company, software patents
          protect their secrets until someone will expose them without even spying them. You are fully aware movies and animations industry increasingly use FOSS tools so companies like Nvidia cannot afford to lose their big customers.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            well another "dude i wanna play crysis so i don't care how" response and as follower in G+ of many Google android developers i can only laugh at your ignorance until i cannot cry anymore.

please restraint to post when the subject is outside of your scope of understanding [if the android/arm driver was meant as a joke, you will make many devs laugh their hearts out in the next Google I/O]

I make a motion to bring Q back, this new generation of VisualBasic for Dummies trolls are boring
            If your Android phone doesn't "just work", then sorry 'bout your luck.

Comment

The odd thing about this whole free/blob driver debate here is that this whole thing exemplifies why free software drivers are useful. Because I use R600g I have a more than reasonable chance of weathering this storm without even getting my feet wet, while people who depend on firmware blob's developed in secret by some shadowy manufacturer (for good or ill) are the ones who have to bite their nails and worry about the changing pace of technology. The fact that the code is open and developed with the community means the community has a much easier time supporting it.
              Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 13 March 2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

If your Android phone doesn't "just work", then sorry 'bout your luck.
                I am pretty sure he is talking about developing features using the hardware here, not just using the damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
                  What if Canonical is bluffing and Mir's only purpose is to speed up Wayland deployment?

That's my theory too - as I was mostly joking.... but it goes out the window because he originally bet on Wayland... then reneged.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    I am pretty sure he is talking about developing features using the hardware here, not just using the damn thing.
                    Well I was referring to using the damn thing. The whole end-goal of a distro / platform is to have something that can be easily used by the end user, and that was the context of my comments that he responded to.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                      Where is the ROFL smile? I freaking loled. They started working on their own calculator and something else. Yeah gooo canonical u will conquer the world!!!! L O L. Seriously douchebag, how can something that is not even ready for use can change linux desktop? And i have to remind u that people u call assholes behind kde/gnome is what make linux desktop. Shuttleworth is clown.
                      I loled when I read that and remembered the first thing I ever programmed was a calculator with visual basic That was after the teacher showed a few things of the IDE.

Hahahaha, should not be too hard for them to do a calculator. Maybe they will have even some peeps left to troll about MIR

Comment

Working...
                      X