Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.1 To Feature Improved Support For Wayland

Phoronix: Qt 5.1 To Feature Improved Support For Wayland

A number of improvements to QtWayland have been merged this month, primarily around the Client Side Decorations support and other functionality needed for proper support of this likely X11 Server successor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who cares? Qt is still fucking freedom. The CLA is used to circumvent software freedom. Qt is all about commercial licensing. Fuck Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Who cares? Qt is still fucking freedom. The CLA is used to circumvent software freedom. Qt is all about commercial licensing. Fuck Qt.
      heavens forbid if developers actually try to make money from the fruits of their labor....

Comment

So Wayland not only enforces inconsistency by requiring that every application draws its title bar itself, Wayland also does not support minimizing of windows.
        I begin to see the benefits of this awesome piece of technology? not!

Comment

The Wayland backend of GTK also does not support client-side decorations.

I think you will be able to get client-side decorations by using XWayland though.
          But XWayland is not yet merged in X, but it is planned for the next X.org 7.8 release.

Once XWayland is merged in, then Wayland will be much more useable through this X compatibility layer.

Weston still needs to implement window minimizing and a window list.

I think there are some minor issues with D-Bus that might need to be resolved too.

Some GTK applications need to get rid of X-specific calls to work natively on Wayland, else they will need XWayland.

Comment

Remember people Wayland is still somewhat up and coming. (Work in progress)
            Wayland does not enforce inconsistency to make every app draw it's own titlebar.
            The majority of apps uses a toolkit that draws the title bars creating a lot of consistency.

Would like minimize support in Wayland very much by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              So Wayland not only enforces inconsistency by requiring that every application draws its title bar itself, Wayland also does not support minimizing of windows.
              I don't think the devs are rushing to implement stuff that are needed for a complete desktop but it will happen eventually. Not sure on the timeframe though.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Who cares?
                Apparently you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Relax. The protocol for minimize support hasn't been merged yet, but patches for it do exist, which extends the Wayland protocol, and implants the ability in Weston.
                  Remember what Kristian said about Wayland 1.0. Wayland 1.0 wasn't a release that meant that Wayland is complete for the desktop, but it was a release that meant that the core protocol from that point forward is stable, and the Wayland developers will no longer break existing APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    Relax. The protocol for minimize support hasn't been merged yet, but patches for it do exist, which extends the Wayland protocol, and implants the ability in Weston.
                    Remember what Kristian said about Wayland 1.0. Wayland 1.0 wasn't a release that meant that Wayland is complete for the desktop, but it was a release that meant that the core protocol from that point forward is stable, and the Wayland developers will no longer break existing APIs.

Since you probably follow wayland more than most i have a question. What is still missing for desktop use. There was a post by Pekka sometime ago but i believe things have moved forward since that.

Comment

Working...
                    X