Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

Phoronix: Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

While there has been a Wayland back-end within GTK+ 3.x, Canonical won't be enabling the Wayland support within their GTK+ tool-kit package anytime soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would always have been difficult to get wayland into main as a build dep of GTK, but it really won't be possible to have GTK+ depending on wayland.
    Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?
    Last edited by mark45; 17 December 2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?

Not even that, we're talking about a few hundred kilobytes here. They don't need weston as a depend, they only need the wayland libraries to satisfy the wayland library dependancies in GTK!

Comment

Use QT then.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Use QT then.
          Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu which pretty much equals Gtk, like it or not. I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT. I think nerdopolis has the same reason.

Comment

I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT
            Reason? If anyone is talking about cross-platform high quality code my immediate first suggestion is QT. What makes you / your projects so special that it NEEDS to be GTK?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu...
              Not in my mind it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Use QT then.
                Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.

Comment

As people said in other threads, it's "Qt" and not "QT".

Overall I'd really like to make my projects use Qt, but the thing is that Qt is a C++ library and it does not play that well with C code, and C is still the most popular language (and I generally dislike C++ for its clunky syntax). It doesn't play well with D, either, since the Qt bindings for D project has gone stagnant for some reason. But GTK is C and is well supported by D as well. So even though I'm a KDE user, I'm forced to use GTK at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.
                    Yes, Qt is different in that regard. You can use the qtwayland plugin with an already compiled version of Qt 5.x.

Comment

Working...
                    X