Wayland, Weston 0.95 Pre-Release Is Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, really X and KDE

i use four screens. i have an nvidia display adapter. thus i am forced to use the proprietary driver since nouveau only supports two. (i know that is not the nouveau developer's fault - they aren't given the specs by nvidia). nvidia's adapter is really two separate chips
    bonded together on one card. hence, xinerama is necessary to tie them all together.
    as a result, the notion of 'maximized window boundary' is screwed up. windows
    maximize to *two* screens (because of twinview). and there is no option to maximize to all four screens. i'd prefer the options of maximizing to one, two, and four physical screens (or at least one and four). and, of course, there is no XRANDR because of the xinerama. KDE's (kwin's) support of multiple monitors is lacking, probably for similar under-the-cover reasons. panels can't span across the xinerama-linked displays. with four screens, i use the two outer screens to display various forms of monitoring/status info. i use the two inner screens as a work area for development/editing/other tasks. ideally i'd like the panel to stretch across the two inner panels, but that is impossible. and, of course, none of the whiz-bang transparent animated window stuff works at all. in fact, with this setup, setting input focus takes realtime *seconds* (i'm using click to focus). this is on a box with 16G of ram and an 8 core xeon chip. this *has* to be kwin's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
      Does this means that when the v1.0 is out we can start using it instead of xorg ? (For the applications and DE that support it of course).

One last question, does Wayland support natively a solution to make Optimus work ?
      Whether you can use Weston instead of (or below) an X server depends on what you can live without. We will see what that is exactly.

Wayland 1.0 means that the core protocol and C library API are set in stone, and other software can rely on them. It does not mean anything about feature parity with X, nor how well compositors work, nor how well toolkits work. In fact, it does not mean much directly for an end user. However, it does mean, that Wayland will no longer be a running target, it will be more like a walking target. It becomes much more unlikely for changes in Wayland to break any existing software that was once made to work with it. That means that toolkit and desktop developers can concentrate their efforts in implementing more features, instead of continuously playing catch-up with Wayland.

Wayland is not a silver bullet to Optimus, and plays a tiny role there, if any. The hard part is in the drivers and the graphics infrastructure. Not having to re-architect huge chunks of the X server helps, though. Except people will probably do that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        The Wayland mailing list is quiet the last few days, I wonder why.
        The weekend was Midsummer's Eve, a national drinking holiday in most of the Nordics.

Comment

And probably some people noticed:
          Code:
           ~ % weston
          Date: 2012-06-26 CEST
          [22:37:31.714] weston 0.94.90
                         http://wayland.freedesktop.org/
                         Bug reports to: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=weston
                         Build: 0.94.90 configure.ac: Bump version to 0.94.90 (2012-06-25 21:35:42 -0400)
          [22:37:31.714] OS: Linux, 3.5.0-1-mainline, #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 26 08:17:19 UTC 2012, x86_64
          [22:37:31.714] fatal: environment variable XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.
          Refer to your distribution on how to get it, or
          http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/basedir-spec
          on how to implement it.
          Well, look, what the spec says.
          Originally posted by http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
          If $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set applications should fall back to a replacement directory with similar capabilities and print a warning message.
          A fatal error is not in the sense of that.

At least some minimal documentation would be really appreciated. How would you run xwayland? What do I do if my mouse pointer is invisible? How would I change the resolution of one screen or rotate one screen or change the mode from expanded desktop to clone or something other (i.e. an equivalent to xrandr)? What hotkeys are there? And with minimal I really mean minimal, e.g. in list form.

Comment

If any one is interested this is pretty good documentation.

Wayland is a protocol for a compositor to talk to its clients as well as a C library implementation of that protocol. The compositor can be a standalone display server running on Linux kernel modesetting and evdev input devices, an X application, or a Wayland client itself. The clients can be traditional applications, X servers (rootless or fullscreen) or other display servers.

Comment

Working...
            X