• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am all for CSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      I am all for CSD.
      i don't believe decorations should be a problem of wayland beyond icccm-extensions/wm-spec. configurable decoration should be a job of your user level toolkit like it is now, is madness handle the decoration drawing inside wayland or X11.

about client side decoration this can be done with plugins and some apirework in kwin and metacity but so far no one seems interested but it should not be that hard to implement

wayland should protocolize and render only otherwise in few years wayland will be a mamut of useless extensions like X11, i mean wayland should protocolize stuff like network session (only transmit process not actual rendered data), windows manager protocol (not mess with the decoration), render protocol (not widgets, components, label, images. try to do an app in motif and you will see my point, motif is an monstruosity), etc and the actual process should be client side job of the toolkit/desktop you use which help a lot to get more fresh ideas and performance.

in the case of network render i think wayland should only protocolize a very basic open protocol where you can transmit data in the way you feel like it from a client side app and establish the basics like encryption and hand checking, that way every toolkit/desktop/3rd party app can attach his network renderer adapted to that exact enviroment: for Exmaple
      CASE 1: i wanna check my ktorrent app in home from my office and have it in my plasma desktop like a locally rendered app conserving the target machine visual settings(my offices one)
      CASE 2: for example 1 way to save lot of bandwith would be for example render this app locally using my local Oxygen icons theme wich should be pretty much the same as my home's (in case of kde should be easy gnome i don't know)
      CASE 3: another probable way of save lots of bandwith is sending LZOed packet's of the actual render commands to a remote QT/KDE library or daemon and get this library to actually perform the rendering on the local wayland server using some sort of jit compiler dunno need more thinking

in any of this scenarios (assuming they can be made) would be insane to have wayland to karate chop part of the render buffer and send it to a remote client but handling the rendering stage at client side level and having a solid and secure transport on the wayland server side would make this a very elegant solution and every desktop or ISV can implement their own solutions without have to mess with wayland internal code and wait N months to be included in the next release.

btw X11 network was a nice idea a billion years ago but today is bloated, insecure and a band murdered but network render is always something useful so im not saying remove it im saying let do it right from the start

Comment

Working...
      X