• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGHammer
    replied
    How far into the future?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

This is going to be short as I have another flight to catch to San Diego for the next week [if anyone wants to meet-up to discuss Linux, Phoronix, or the Phoronix Test Suite in the area, contact me]. Anyhow, Mark Shuttleworth just sent over an email saying that they will be deploying the Wayland Display Server with their Unity Desktop -- that's replacing the GNOME Shell by default -- in a future Ubuntu release!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODc1Ng
    The question begs, though - how *far* into the future could Wayland be in position to replace X.org under Unity?

X.org supports more hardware than Wayland does by far - and I'm referring *just* to display hardware a year old or less. X+Mesa 7.10 supports - and with DRI at minimum - all but the most recent AMD GPUs (HD6xxx). Desktop, portable/Mobility, all can use one of two drivers today - r300g or r600c (with r600g being worked on). However, Canonical has decided to use X+r600g - despite being quite aware that r600c is still eating Gallium's lunch on the newer hardware. In fact, r600c has, in typical desktop usage, tied, if not actually begun beating, FGLRX performance metrics - something I never expected to see. And Gallium is *ahead* of Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    i also use linux for music.. but i use ubuntu studio in studio, and normal ubuntu with ubu studio repo in my room

yea yea.. bitching on ubuntu START

Leave a comment:

• NoEffex
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    you might not give a shit about java - and you are a very small minority. If debian is so great for musicians - why are there debian forks for musicians?

And please don't try to tell me that the pulseaudio infection in ubuntu is a good thing.
    Java can be installed manually - not a big deal. I'm a musician and I used debian for recording. Why? Because Debian isn't difficult to work with. You can install something..without breaking the rest of your system. pulseaudio blows. That's the thing I hated more than anything else. ALSA when configured correctly to force non-takeovers is fantastic. Way less configuration too..

jackd of course is my favorite, but that goes without saying .

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    And please don't try to tell me that the pulseaudio infection in ubuntu is a good thing.
    It's a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    you might not give a shit about java - and you are a very small minority. If debian is so great for musicians - why are there debian forks for musicians?

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    energyman.. ban your self...

do i need java stuff for making music in ardour or audacity? get lost troll
    ubuntu and debian are very good for musicians and studio work... i dont give a SH** for java, dont need it
    Well, I have to admit... I myself like trolling sometimes. Trolling makes us answer the what ifs in life, and makes us better for it.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    energyman.. ban your self...

do i need java stuff for making music in ardour or audacity? get lost troll
    ubuntu and debian are very good for musicians and studio work... i dont give a SH** for java, dont need it

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    there are three problems with ubuntu:

it is a parasite. The biggest problem.
    ubuntards who think they are l33t because they can type 'tar -cjvf' without breaking a fingernail
    sites like phoronix acting like ubuntu bitch boys.

I recommend:

ubuntu creates retards .. well done.
    I am being overloaded with troll. Seriously, Ubuntu doesn't make people morons. Ubuntu has been shown to be just as fast as any other Linux distribution and sometimes, it is just plain more usable. I like to spend my time using my system, not setting it up :P

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    While I don't share energyman's cynism, some of the points he raises do have merit. In my own opinion, Ubuntu only works fine so long as you do things Ubuntu's way - and sometimes it seems people can't see beyond it and that there are other ways of doing things too. Kind of like when people ask if you use Gnome or KDE and have a confused expression when the reply is "neither".
    I personally actually find it difficult to use Ubuntu because they've tried to make it a simple point & click. The more complex tasks that more experienced users look for aren't as apparent (and so for me, Ubuntu is not user friendly, and Gentoo sits quite nicely).
    In the end, the real movers & shakers are the folks behind the base software (X, Wayland if it takes off, kernel, etc etc) care more about the technical side of things, which is very very important to have.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    ubuntu creates retards .. well done.
    Well said, indeed. Now take a long, hard look at your mirror.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X