No announcement yet.

Niri 0.1.5 Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Adds New Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it with this inflation of "tiling window manager"'s? Have they become so easy to code that everybody and his aunt wants to "have their own"?

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
      What is it with this inflation of "tiling window manager"'s? Have they become so easy to code that everybody and his aunt wants to "have their own"?
      For what it is worth, this one seems pretty unique. And so far, for me, pretty usable and functional advantages.

Comment

tiling window management has always been significantly easier then stacking. There are so many hidden gotchas with stacking window management that don't happen with tiling, like windows that become 99% off screen and can't be dragged back on, windows that are resized super small, and just loads more. If you want something you could actually daily use, tiling is way easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

tiling window management has always been significantly easier then stacking. There are so many hidden gotchas with stacking window management that don't happen with tiling, like windows that become 99% off screen and can't be dragged back on, windows that are resized super small, and just loads more. If you want something you could actually daily use, tiling is way easier.
          So you basically confirm my suspicion: tiling window managers are so easy to code that it will soon replace all these "hello world" examples in classes. And apparently there are loads of script kiddies that completely agree with you that tiling is easier to use. I guess it also has to do with "it has to work on a phone or tablet".

- I don't. -

I was never able to "get friends" with this bloody "tiling stuff". I also never ever had an issue with too small, too big or hidden windows. Neither on Linux nor on windo$e. But I see that this could be an issue if you don't have a mouse like on tablets or phones.

Comment

So you basically confirm my suspicion: tiling window managers are so easy to code that it will soon replace all these "hello world" examples in classes. And apparently there are loads of script kiddies that completely agree with you that tiling is easier to use. I guess it also has to do with "it has to work on a phone or tablet".

- I don't. -

I was never able to "get friends" with this bloody "tiling stuff". I also never ever had an issue with too small, too big or hidden windows. Neither on Linux nor on windo$e. But I see that this could be an issue if you don't have a mouse like on tablets or phones.
            Personally I love tiling wms. so much so that I use https://github.com/LGUG2Z/komorebi on windows. I don't think a tiling wm is easier or harder to use then a stacking one. but a decent stacking wm is a lot harder to do then a decent tiling wm. If you want a "dumb" stacking window manager just go and install smithay or really any wm with basic functionality. Weston would work fine in that case. You will run into a lot of small annoyances that quickly make it a really "Not great" experience.

Comment

Tiling is not any easier to code than stacking and it has nothing to do with phones or tablets really. Some people just like tiling. Others like stacking. Both are equally valid choices and just boils down to personal preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                contrary to what I thought, it seems that having to develop a Wayland compositor, instead of working on top of X11, is encouraging new (interesting) projects
                The false obsession of claiming there must be one and only implementation of a specification led people to making this mistaken assumption. Good specification rules often encourage atleast two different implementation but more is very common in open source projects and leads more experimentation. The only reason X11 eventually ended up with one major implementation on Linux is due to code complexity and attrition. It was certainly not by design. In the early days, there was more than a dozen.

Comment

Working...
                X