Wayland 1.23 Planned For Release Around The End Of May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
    I wonder if any other news-worthy things have happened in the Wayland space recently... 👀

Totally unrelated, but how does this affect Hyperland?
    Not sure how it affects Hyprland (btw, they drop the "e" and their binary is capitalized - the later of which bugged me at first, but I dropped my mental "bikeshedding" in this one.) I would assume progress with core Wayland stuff should only help them. Obviously there can be regressions, but my view is that as different pieces of the ecosystem evolve, the collective situation as a whole should in theory benefit. Avoiding getting caught up with whatever anyone feels about the community around it, Hyprland is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
      I love all the stuff happening with Wayland and in the graphics space. I am no expert, but seems like progress is happening, so many cool and interesting window managers coming, etc. And the lower-level graphics "plumbing" keeps improving. I first installed Linux around 2001 on a cast-off DX468 that I had to take the bus a good half an hour away to track down an IDE CD ROM drive for so I could install. I was so excited when I was able to get the graphics going and launch TWM. I couldn't do much with that machine, but I made it work!

Linux was never my "daily driver", but I've consistently tried different things, done hundred of different installations in virtual machines just to learn and try things out - then toss, rinse, and repeat. Lately at home I'm booting up into Linux more and more. As I said already, I'm not an expert, but I'm not all that clueless as well.

In addition to graphics-level progress, we have (at least close to if not fully) pro-level audio with PipeWire pretty much default, and so much more. Obviously there is more still that can happen, but things are happening. A lot of people like to complain about so much, and of course healthy and constructive debate is good to sort things out, but other than that I say let's just keep getting it done!
      Just wondering, what is keeping you from jumping into Linux as your "daily driver" ??

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Not sure how it affects Hyprland (btw, they drop the "e" and their binary is capitalized - the later of which bugged me at first, but I dropped my mental "bikeshedding" in this one.) I would assume progress with core Wayland stuff should only help them. Obviously there can be regressions, but my view is that as different pieces of the ecosystem evolve, the collective situation as a whole should in theory benefit. Avoiding getting caught up with whatever anyone feels about the community around it, Hyprland is pretty cool.
        I appreciate the sincere response, although I was being facetious. I was hinting at something that Michael clearly doesn't want to address.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
          Just wondering, what is keeping you from jumping into Linux as your "daily driver" ??
          I'm getting there at home. If I am not doing work related stuff, I've been booting straight into Linux. Right now using Cosmic or one a few lighter-weight (tiling pretty much) window managers (sway, hyprland, and niri right now being the main ones.) I want to finally get into some more development like projects I have been thinking about. Not an ace dev, but I can figure out what I need for what I want to do. Linux is just great for this kind of thing.

As far as work goes, I have to have Windows 10/11 available. And I don't mind the UI so much, just don't like the telemetry and "federated" feeds that I have to disable anytime anything new, not to mention pushing AI/Copilot, etc. Also, having the Unix-like underpinning as Linux implements and provides is great. Anything I create will run on Linux-based servers, why would I not develop on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
            I appreciate the sincere response, although I was being facetious. I was hinting at something that Michael clearly doesn't want to address.
            I get what you are saying but do not really want to get into it all. It things are obviously and remain blatantly toxic, I will revisit. But often there is nuance, and happy to see how things evolve.

Comment

What new features will this veresion have? none? was it because they like to ban the best developers from contributing on their gitlab maybe?

Wayland is a joke. If it ever had hope of becoming anything more than a joke, it threw it away by turning people who want to try to make it less of a joke away for any nonsensical reason they could possibly conceptualize. Code of conduct? What a farce, i wonder how it can be considered 'good conduct' to ban people for things they didn't say or even have anything to do with. These people need a reality check, and we need an alternative cuz it just keeps getting clearer that freedesktop doesn't actually want wayland to be good. They don't like progress, they exist to slow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                What new features will this veresion have? none? was it because they like to ban the best developers from contributing on their gitlab maybe?

Wayland is a joke. If it ever had hope of becoming anything more than a joke, it threw it away by turning people who want to try to make it less of a joke away for any nonsensical reason they could possibly conceptualize. Code of conduct? What a farce, i wonder how it can be considered 'good conduct' to ban people for things they didn't say or even have anything to do with. These people need a reality check, and we need an alternative cuz it just keeps getting clearer that freedesktop doesn't actually want wayland to be good. They don't like progress, they exist to slow it down.
                Who hurt you

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post
                  Does this fix the longstanding issue of moving the mouse too fast can cause application stalls/crashes?
                  LOL i had exactly this bug yesterday ... after short period of fast mouse movement the system crashed ... did not crash for years
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    don't be ridiculous, it only happens with 1000+ hz mouse and a severely underpowered system under starvation.
                    it happen to me yesterday with logitech mx master 3s and my Threadripper 1920X with 128gb ram is clearly not underpowered and starvation? only the web browser was open.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

it happen to me yesterday with logitech mx master 3s and my Threadripper 1920X with 128gb ram is clearly not underpowered and starvation? only the web browser was open.
                      ah, of course. To me it happened without a mouse while running hello world in terminal.

Comment

Working...
                      X