LXQt Desktop Now "100%" Ready For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's not working all that great on AMD either. On my dad's PC, Wayland refuses to work with AMD only hardware and on my PC, Plasma 6 with Wayland refuses to work correctly on AMD (Plasma 5 and LXQt work fine, however).
    But, I thought AMD gpus solved all the Wayland probs?

Why are those Nvidia gpu complainers not switching to AMD gpus to solve all their problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

Funny how aside from framwork, every Linux hardware manufacturer including Linux exclusive ones like system76 ship their systems with Nvidia graphics.
      I'm actually desperately trying to find a laptop that has AMD graphics and supports Linux - framework looks to be my only option. Though I hear the only thing not working on the alienware m18 on the linux side is the microphone, which I could probably live with - though I'd find no official support then.
      Maybe, they'll say Pop OS is using Xorg (default) on those Linux systems? It is interesting, though, that these companies that ship/configure a Linux OS as the default OS on their desktops and laptops are almost always (overwhelmingly) w/ Nvidia graphics - right?

Comment

I swear the Linux landscape is like a country where the central government has collapsed and you have a bunch of warlords that control parts of the country and each does his own thing.

It would be great if the various DE teams would just come together and work towards creating one truly great, bug free DE for Linux.

Comment

Very good.
          One more important step to deprecate GNOME.

Comment

Funny how aside from framwork, every Linux hardware manufacturer including Linux exclusive ones like system76 ship their systems with Nvidia graphics.
            Many Linux hardware vendors are producing workstations. For workstations, you're either fine with basic iGPUs or you want CUDA.
            I'm actually desperately trying to find a laptop that has AMD graphics and supports Linux - framework looks to be my only option. Though I hear the only thing not working on the alienware m18 on the linux side is the microphone, which I could probably live with - though I'd find no official support then.
            Just because something doesn't officially support Linux, doesn't mean it won't run. I've got Linux to work even on devices that go out of their way to make 3rd party OSes difficult to install. So long as you disable SecureBoot and perhaps the TPM, most devices will work fine out of the box.

Comment

Funny how aside from framework, every Linux hardware manufacturer including Linux exclusive ones like system76 ship their systems with Nvidia graphics.
              System76, for the most part, doesn't design their own notebooks. They use an ODM like Clevo and rebrand it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Many Linux hardware vendors are producing workstations. For workstations, you're either fine with basic iGPUs or you want CUDA.

and Noitatsidem

Just because something doesn't officially support Linux, doesn't mean it won't run. I've got Linux to work even on devices that go out of their way to make 3rd party OSes difficult to install. So long as you disable SecureBoot and perhaps the TPM, most devices will work fine out of the box.
                This is all true, as far as it goes. I'm late in my replacement cycle, so I'm using a 2019-ish Dell that was not advertised as a Linux model (it's the oddball 9575, which I feel lucky to have). It was selected primarily for the Vega graphics.

The difficulty is that laptops, in particular, unless it's a Clevo/Sager (what they used to call "white box") that gets rebadged by others (Alienware has in the past), is so deeply integrated. There's a SKU for the model, but devices and PHYs are where the real kernel support comes in, and unfortunately, those can change without notice in the same overall SKU, and even if they don't vary, they aren't transparent about what particular parts they've used.

From a lifetime of PC hardware use (80's kid, grew up in a house with a var), and twenty-some years of using Linux-only devices as daily drivers, I have a strategy, but even so I've had to hack my own drivers on occasion, which most people couldn't be asked to do. But if one's needs is not met by the current Linux-specialized resellers and manufacturers, then knowledge of the hardware layer and kernelspace is required.

(Strategy, btw, is to have a wide tolerance for age, say 1-2 years, compile lists of probable parts used in the models that meet usage requirements, then search sites like linuxhardware/forums/etc., and, most importantly, search the kernel source. Obvs, searching the source can be done on the web in the browser, so there really isn't an excuse no to, if you're wandering off the path of Linux sellers. And to be clear, currently nvidia graphics on a laptop doesn't meet my "supported" criteria.)

(Distro matters a lot. I use Arch because they have a light touch on others' code and make it easy to stay within days of current. If someone wants current hardware, need a current kernel.)

I also wish we could hold resellers like System76 to getting good hardware, though it seems ungrateful. We have all been bitten by this industry's inside dealing with coupons, rebates, contracts, etc., but at some point there is a choice between margin (padded by a manufacturer's marketing) and doing the healthy thing for the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's not working all that great on AMD either. On my dad's PC, Wayland refuses to work with AMD only hardware and on my PC, Plasma 6 with Wayland refuses to work correctly on AMD (Plasma 5 and LXQt work fine, however).
                  Perhaps too early for Plasma 6?
                  By the way, Plasma 5 works fine even on Mali-400 GPU class, funny it does not work on nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

Presumably it'll work with any compositor that supports the necessary wlroots protocols? I'd be curious to see if it can be integrated with Sway or Hyprland. A hybrid tiling desktop is something I've always wanted. My ideal desktop would be Plasma Shell on-top of a Sway or Hyprland core but KDE uses too many proprietary protocols. I don't even think something like KRunner can even run properly on other compositors (layer shell could be used for that, but why do that when you can use your own proprietary positioning protocol instead?).
                    I can't believe I found somebody just like me lol. I fullscreen or half-screen pretty much every app I use, but I also use my taskbar heavily. A usable taskbar on Sway would be the perfect setup, but Sway has a proprietary "bar" protocol that the LXQt bar would have to speak unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                      I swear the Linux landscape is like a country where the central government has collapsed and you have a bunch of warlords that control parts of the country and each does his own thing.

It would be great if the various DE teams would just come together and work towards creating one truly great, bug free DE for Linux.
                      Then you've missed the point of Linux altogether. Nothing for you to see here, move along.

Comment

Working...
                      X