XWayland Adds "-Output" Option For Better Rootful Fullscreen Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Adds "-Output" Option For Better Rootful Fullscreen Control

Phoronix: XWayland Adds "-Output" Option For Better Rootful Fullscreen Control

As part of the Red Hat led effort for making XWayland's rootful mode more useful and the ability to run X11 desktop sessions within XWayland as part of RHEL 10 dropping the X.Org Server support besides XWayland, a new "-output" option was added to XWayland for better control over placement of rootful fullscreen windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And how exactly is a command line option supposed to know which displays are connected and switched on?

Im not even sure I'd class rhel10 a linux distribution the way its going.
    Last edited by mSparks; 11 January 2024, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      Lol, Red Hat is one of the largest contributors to Linux and X.org, what are you even talking about. How does this even remotely mean that RHEL is not a Linux distro? It's literally based on Linux, the very definition of a what a Linux distribution is.

Comment

Can this be used to run a DE within gamescope?

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
          And how exactly is a command line option supposed to know which displays are connected and switched on?

Did you even make it past the headline? Because, in bold in the article, it says "Specifies on which output Xwayland fullscreen rootful should be placed. The name must match the name of an existing Wayland output (output names can be found using wayland-info)."

This is a snip of the output of wayland-info:

So if your monitor is connected and switched on or off, Wayland knows because it has the protocols for that. That's also not the only monitor info section in wayland-info. That's just the one nearest the end.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
            Can this be used to run a DE within gamescope?
            Asking the real questions

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

Lol, Red Hat is one of the largest contributors to Linux and X.org, what are you even talking about. How does this even remotely mean that RHEL is not a Linux distro? It's literally based on Linux, the very definition of a what a Linux distribution is.
              Red Hat no share build environment SPEC files. Ugg mad. Now Ugg beat wife in cave.

Comment

Why does x11 desktop on wayland require root when native x11 desktops have transitioned away from root?

Am i mixing things up? isn't xserver run as non-root in modern x11 desktops?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  Why does x11 desktop on wayland require root when native x11 desktops have transitioned away from root?

Am i mixing things up? isn't xserver run as non-root in modern x11 desktops?
                  Indeed, you are mixing things. A root window is X or Wayland context is the top most parent. It has absolutely nothing to do with root user

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Red Hat no share build environment SPEC files. Ugg mad. Now Ugg beat wife in cave.
                    They do share spec files in https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms. How do you think Rocky or Alma still does rebuilds? What they seem to now do differently is that the spec files are a single "stream" since it where RHEL development now happens instead of a post release push. It's better for people who want to contribute to the development or follow it closely and not all that relevant for people who only want to rebuild the sources but I don't see what they lost here.

Comment

Working...
                    X