Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ongoing Work For Native Wine Wayland Support

Phoronix: The Ongoing Work For Native Wine Wayland Support

There were many interesting talks last week at XDC 2023 in Spain around Rusticl, the open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver, the Raspberry Pi graphics driver, RADV ray-tracing, AMD color management and HDR with the Steam Deck / Gamescope, and others. One of the other talks many Phoronix readers are likely to be interested in is around the state of the Wine Wayland driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would this mean Google's planning on using Wine in ChromeOS sometime soon?

Comment

How are they going to tackle absolute window positioning which is required by many applications including Adobe Suite and which is AFAIK not part of the Wayland protocol because reasons?

Comment

Nice to see that they put this in the slide presentation, back then when I've said here that Wine Wayland would allow us to play wine games without any x11 dependency, I remember some ""Wine expert"" trying to argue with me that "Wine applications are in fact x11 applications"

The only sad thing about it is that I really doubt we'll have this ready in a usable form in time for Wine 9. But once it's everything is settle, then the fact that this driver is "compositor agnostic" will make "the adoption goes faster"

Maybe this even make Valve finally do something about # 4924 on their GitHub.
        Attached Files
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbk0 View Post
          Would this mean Google's planning on using Wine in ChromeOS sometime soon?
          ChromeOS doesn't use Wayland. But you can already use CrossOver Office on ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            ChromeOS doesn't use Wayland. But you can already use CrossOver Office on ChromeOS.
            Err, they do - they are even switching over the browser, see Lacros.

Comment

They dumped everything into a 9 hour video, genius...

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                How are they going to tackle absolute window positioning which is required by many applications including Adobe Suite and which is AFAIK not part of the Wayland protocol because reasons?
                This is imo the biggest flaw of Wayland. I simply don't understand what's wrong with apps remembering their window position on screen. And I've seen some argue it's a good thing that Wayland lacks this ability. It's beyond insane.

Comment

Judging by the next presentation about Wine's x11 driver, it seems it will be a long long time until Proton will adopt the Wayland driver. Because Proton's forked x11 driver has an enormous amount of hacks and per-game workarounds that can't be upstreamed. Migrating to the Wayland driver means having to start all over again.
                  Last edited by user1; 25 October 2023, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Probably not unsimilar to how SDL does it. Some kind of emulation of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X