Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Mir Working On Hybrid Graphics / Multi-GPU Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir Working On Hybrid Graphics / Multi-GPU Support

Canonical continues investing in Mir as their Wayland compositor and set of platform abstraction interfaces to make it easier for IoT and other "smart" devices to run atop Ubuntu Core. Most recently the Mir developers have been working to partially re-architect their graphics platform handling to better handle multiple GPU/display devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again with their Mir crap!
    WTF is so wrong with Canonical that is always so stubborn and boneheaded?
    KDE Plasma and Gnome, along with their Wayland compositors are for a reason the most modern and most popular on Linux!
    Mark or whoever still leads Canonical must suffer big time from the NIH syndrome since this company is always going against the flow.
    I don't know why I'm even surprised knowing Canonical and their shitty decisions for so long.

Anyway, glad I'm not a Ubuntu or any of its flavors / derivatives user!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      KDE Plasma and Gnome, along with their Wayland compositors are for a reason the most modern and most popular on Linux!
      Mark or whoever still leads Canonical must suffer big time from the NIH syndrome since this company is always going against the flow.
      I don't know why I'm even surprised knowing Canonical and their shitty decisions for so long.

It's the Canonical way. What do you expect from a Microsoftpartner? They exist for a reason, to be a bad example.

Their few projects get forked, nobody likes CLA and their government.

Miguel De Icaza should work at Canonical, he fits there.

Comment

Actually Mir is a wayland compositor now. The original Mir Display server (protocol) doesn't exist anymore

Comment

By now I am convinced Canonical exists just to make the Linux desktop ecosystem look as ridiculous as possible. Everything they do is the most removed from common sense that I've ever heard of.

Nothing they do is useful for anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by keit99 View Post

Actually Mir is a wayland compositor now. The original Mir Display server (protocol) doesn't exist anymore
            It doesn't matter and it will be thrown in the trash bin one day, like all the other Canonical projects.
            To me Canonical looks more and more like it's just a Microsoft puppet, probably to have a trojan horse on the inside to make a lot of people turn back to Windows after trying Linux, when actually they just try Ubuntu or its flavors as those are unfortunately still the most recommended distros because of the past when they were actually good and nothing was better at that time.
            Linux Mint with their stupid decision of intentionally avoiding the two most popular desktop environments and Wayland support, seems me to behave in a similar way.
            Which makes me think that they might have a similar incentive.

Comment

mir is a wayland compositor, used in iot, why people become so mad? linux flow?
              linux is about choices

Comment

Again with another comment hating on Mir.

Mir is A WAYLAND compositor! Just like Weston, KWin and Mutter/GNOME Shell.
                It's no longer its own thing!

Comment

Lol. we should just accept that we have to choose between mcdonalds or burger king? coke or pepsi? gnome or kde? Why don't you put a little bit of the blame on those two project for not being good enough that people still want alternatives.

MIR does things today that gnome/kde do not. What's your answer to that?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Again with another comment hating on Mir.

Mir is A WAYLAND compositor! Just like Weston, KWin and Mutter/GNOME Shell.
                    It's no longer its own thing!
                    I know!

But what I don't know, is what is Mir actually used?
                    Because Weston is just an example compositor, Kwin is used in Plasma and Mutter in Gnome.
                    Where is this Mir actually used, when the two most popular desktop environments doesn't use it and I bet Sway doesn't either?
                    What's the purpose of continuing and investing it in?

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

Lol. we should just accept that we have to choose between mcdonalds or burger king? coke or pepsi? gnome or kde? Why don't you put a little bit of the blame on those two project for not being good enough that people still want alternatives.

MIR does things today that gnome/kde do not. What's your answer to that?
                    Like what, what does Mir do that Weston, Kwin, Mutter and Gamescope can't?

I'm really curios what are those world problems that Mir solves?

Does it solve the HDR problem, does it even have any support for it?

Marketing bullshit I'm hearing all day from Microsoft, so I'm not interested in that!

Comment

Working...
                    X