No announcement yet.

XWayland 22.1.3 Released Due To XKB Security Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NNNNnnnnnnnooooooo we MUST stop this madness of Wayland and its twenty dozen compositors to return all development effort to continuing the glorious path that is X11!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It seems you have no idea what you're talking about. It will be better if you keep such 'brilliant' ideas for yourself. You will not feel embarrassed in the future.
      I talk about the fact that legacy software is not adaptable if not by xWayland and this fact exposes users to security threats. If u not understand this elementary issue it's your problem. Since all linux operating systems have to adapt their system stack in order to guarantee the coexistence between xorg and wayland, xWayland becomes necessary. The conclusion is that it is more simple to realize a new linux operating system based on pure wayland rather than to adapt an existing one. it's not difficult to understand. As example think to Kwin and Kwinft.
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 14 July 2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
        I talk about the fact that legacy software is not adaptable if not by xWayland and this fact exposes users to security threats. If u not understand this elementary issue it's your problem. Since all linux operating systems have to adapt their system stack in order to guarantee the coexistence between xorg and wayland, xWayland becomes necessary. The conclusion is that it is more simple to realize a new linux operating system based on pure wayland rather than to adapt an existing one. it's not difficult to understand. As example think to Kwin and Kwinft.
        Oh, in that sense! I thought you were talking about kernel. Future Fedora releases should be something you/we want with Gnome without X.
        Last edited by Volta; 15 July 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          I talk about the fact that legacy software is not adaptable if not by xWayland and this fact exposes users to security threats.
          XWayland does not make Wayland less safe in the context of this bug. Refer to my previous comment.

Edit: XWayland is unlikely to be dropped from the main Linux distributions anytime soon, as backwards compatibility is too important. In the far future, when it gets deprecated, it'll likely be over maintenance costs, not concerns over the security of the protocol.
          Last edited by jntesteves; 15 July 2022, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X