X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddriver
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    It's the overall architecture of Xorg that simply sucks. Code bloat doesn't have a performance impact so much because it's just unused data consuming some storage space.
    Yes it is architectural bloat. It is not a matter of code that doesn't even get touched, it is a matter of code that is there to facilitate the legacy features bloat. When the code for certain features is not consolidated and discrete but rather all over the place, it is not just more storage space, it is cache pollution which translate to more cache misses, performance and efficiency.

Most software developers today are completely oblivious to how detrimental cache pollution can be. For the simple reason most development today is OOP which is orthogonal to cache friendliness. Inadvertently, OOP inspired designs end up with not only data member bloat, but also instruction bloat, more ifs and buts, more branching and whatnot. Especially when the design is also not layered and isolated well, which is also quite typical.
    Last edited by ddriver; 23 December 2021, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    What I find interesting is that when I kept reporting that I couldn't get (Plasma) Wayland to work in on my Intel-only laptop, people on here thought I was crazy because it “should just work on Intel”. But now I'm on my new Ryzen 9 PC with built-in AMD GPU (APU?) and I still can't get it to work. On various distros, that is.

Makes me wonder if the Wayland fanboys are secretly not on Wayland either, but love it so much that they trick people into thinking it works.
    I'm on a desktop PC with Radeon RX 570.
    Plasma 5 works here on Wayland, it feels snappier, but it still has bugs that overall render the X11 experience better, which is why I'm still on X11. This is mostly KDE's fault because Gnome on Wayland works far better (at least for me), but I hate Gnome, so...

IIRC traditionally laptops have been more problematic on Linux than the PC.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    What I find interesting is that when I kept reporting that I couldn't get (Plasma) Wayland to work in on my Intel-only laptop, people on here thought I was crazy because it “should just work on Intel”. But now I'm on my new Ryzen 9 PC with built-in AMD GPU (APU?) and I still can't get it to work. On various distros, that is.

Makes me wonder if the Wayland fanboys are secretly not on Wayland either, but love it so much that they trick people into thinking it works.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

I know what X11 SSH forwarding is
    Then you know it works pretty much exactly the same as waypipe for Wayland over SSH. The main difference is that the former is built into OpenSSH, the latter not yet (probably just a matter of time though).

But ultimately SSH is the means, not the end; the end in the question was remote display
    The question was:

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    does ssh offers a Waylandforwarding like x11forwarding feature?

Leave a comment:

• wooque
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Doesn't work on Xorg anymore either.
    Works on my machine. I'm using Chromium on Arch Linux so they might be doing some special patching.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by wooque View Post
    Also hardware accelerated video decode does not work under Wayland at the moment in Chrome and Chromium based browsers, so they will have greater power consumption playing videos, which matters a lot on laptops.
    Doesn't work on Xorg anymore either.

Of course Wayland will be much more power efficient when you can directly scan out all kinds of single surfaces. This isn't really of interest for any dGPU power consumption, but of course ULP devices. However, there is still a shipton of other performance optimizations not picked up for Gnome. The shell seems to be some kind of CPU cycle eater that kills lowend SoCs.

Leave a comment:

• wooque
    replied
    Also hardware accelerated video decode does not work under Wayland at the moment in Chrome and Chromium based browsers, so they will have greater power consumption playing videos, which matters a lot on laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    On native Wayland session it should be even better.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by wooque View Post
    Benchmark tells to me that Xorg will have better battery life.
    I see much lower minimal consumption in Xorg (8.8W Wayland vs 4.8W Xorg), which means system under Xorg achieves lower power states and does more aggressive power savings, which will more realistically translate to real world usage as people usually don't run full load benchmarks on battery but do much lighter tasks, such as web browsing where there are lot of idle time.
    The single data points are not that important, the integral over time is.

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied
    Good! You will need that extra battery life when gnome-shell crashes bringing down the entire session and you have to redo all your unsaved work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X