X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    This is a new PC, so yes, it's a clean account. I never restore any settings. On my laptop it was a relatively clean account as well.
    Please note installer created account in some cases is not clean. Some distributions wayland does not work with the installer created account and you spin up a new user and it magically works.

Yes relatively clean or installer created relatively clean are not clean. I have also run into a few cases with X11 where things have been a little strange until I created a new clean user and worked out installer had done something stupid in the installer created user with some distributions.
    Last edited by oiaohm; 24 December 2021, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    All it can do is remove inefficiencies
    That I was talking about and it wouldn't had been that unrealistic, see Vulcan vs. OpenGL.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Surprisingly, until today Wayland is not that much faster than X.Org. Actually I thought we would have gains around 30% - 50%, when I heard the first time about Wayland and its promises.
    Maybe the architecture and code has to mature 5 more years?
    Nothing about Wayland can magically make your hardware 50% faster.

All it can do is remove inefficiencies, and even X isn't that slow.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Surprisingly, until today Wayland is not that much faster than X.Org. Actually I thought we would have gains around 30% - 50%, when I heard the first time about Wayland and its promises.
    Maybe the architecture and code has to mature 5 more years?

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

But if it is anything like tunneling VNC, you don't particularly need it integrated with SSH. Mainly because the server is the server (Xvnc) rather than the client providing the server (Xorg).
    Again, waypipe works fundamentally the same as X11 over SSH: There's a proxy display server on the SSH server side and a proxy display client on the SSH client side. (Yes, this means X11 over SSH doesn't really require X11's network transparency, which is just as well, since X servers haven't enabled network sockets for client connections by default for years)

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I guess you did not try a clean account.
    This is a new PC, so yes, it's a clean account. I never restore any settings. On my laptop it was a relatively clean account as well.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    I dipped into Plasma Wayland briefly last week. Chromium still doesn't behave correctly. Loads of "papercuts" and when I tried benchmarking Horizon Zero Dawn I was getting 65fps rather than 85pfs on Plasma X11

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    What I find interesting is that when I kept reporting that I couldn't get (Plasma) Wayland to work in on my Intel-only laptop, people on here thought I was crazy because it “should just work on Intel”. But now I'm on my new Ryzen 9 PC with built-in AMD GPU (APU?) and I still can't get it to work. On various distros, that is.

Makes me wonder if the Wayland fanboys are secretly not on Wayland either, but love it so much that they trick people into thinking it works.
    Screenshot_20211224_092424.jpg
    On a laptop...

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    Please read his statement agian.
    I did read his statement. He was not clear on if user had already gone into x11 version of KDE. The hard reality here there are bugs that if you have logged into KDE Plasma as X11 then you attempt to use Plamsa on particular hardware and software configurations you are doomed.

Yes and if you are following the pattern over and over again of trying X11 KDE first then trying KDE wayland second on trouble hardware you will keep on getting the same failure result.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by gfunk View Post
    Can you explain a bit more? at SDDM before I login, I switch between X11 and Wayland, I mostly use Wayland now after tons of bugs got fixed but dont see any issues hopping back and fourth.. Arch btw
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385135

Sorry to say there are a set of different bugs like above. Where different setups you will go splat swaping backwards and forwards between plasma on X11 and plasma on Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X