Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Lands Support For Sharing Pixmaps Via MIT-SHM

Phoronix: XWayland Lands Support For Sharing Pixmaps Via MIT-SHM

A small patch merged to X.Org Server Git enables support for MIT-SHM shared memory pixmaps with XWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well X.Org keeps updating in XWayland at least. I wonder when XWayland will fizzle out...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      Well X.Org keeps updating in XWayland at least. I wonder when XWayland will fizzle out...
      The answer is possible never. Think wine still has to maintain win16 support for legacy applications that people still want to run and we have dosbox around for running old dos applications. So game distributors like GoG and Valve will have a reason to maintain legacy support for basically forever so they can keep on selling the old games in their inventory.

Better question is when do you think XWayland will loss ability to support over the network X11 as that feature will not be need by game distributors to ship their games.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        Better question is when do you think XWayland will loss ability to support over the network X11 as that feature will not be need by game distributors to ship their games.
        I can see something like a binary compatible libX11 or libxcb will be created that binds ontop of some Wayland layer. I have already seen similar with libW11 for Win32. However there were so few X11 programs needing to be run on Windows that it got quite unmaintained.

Wayland is not yet mature enough to have its own libX11 equivalent so typically people just use SDL(2). Interestingly this future X11 compat layer might be ontop of SDL2 so we will end up with a really weird compat display stack: SDL2/X11 -> X11/SDL2 -> SDL2/Wayland
        Last edited by kpedersen; 19 May 2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Has X.org server itself received any significant features since the release of X.org 1.20 or are these features exclusive to XWayland at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Has X.org server itself received any significant features since the release of X.org 1.20 or are these features exclusive to XWayland at this point?
            Only branch of X.org X11 server accepting new features since 1.20 is the XWayland branch. So security flaw fixes only for X.org 1.20 bare metal and that will stop at some point.

Comment

Wait... are you telling me that, until now, XWayland worked sending all data through the socket and hasn't implemented SHM?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                Only branch of X.org X11 server accepting new features since 1.20 is the XWayland branch. So security flaw fixes only for X.org 1.20 bare metal and that will stop at some point.
                There are smaller (non XWayland) features still being added to Xserver 1.20.x and plenty of non-security fixes. Look at the changelog.

You gotta love Wayland fanboys being so anxious to jump on Xserver's grave that they bury the facts too.

Comment

Michael the library is wlroots, not WL-ROOTS. You can see on the project github's README how it calls itself.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I can see something like a binary compatible libX11 or libxcb will be created that binds ontop of some Wayland layer.
                    And what if they are statically linked? (which is the case with many proprietary applications, since they don't want to deal with the linux userland fiasco)

Comment

Working...
                    X