Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland 21.1 Standalone Released To Offer Better X11 Client On Wayland Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/...iner_declares/

You are only noticing now. We are 12 months in with x.org bare metal X11 server not having anyone from any company or anywhere assigned to do merge requests. Few bug fixes in the last 12 months were done by people in their spare time not paid to-do it.

The reality is there is no one assigned to the maintinership role of X11 server at x.org to make a Xorg 21 tombstone edition. Do you have the time and resources to take up the job Snaipersky as the position is open.
    I've noticed for a while, I've just run out of patience with the excuses. Maybe I'll merge a bunch that look fine by hand just out of spite this weekend. Depends on what all winds up on the "honey-do" list.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
      I've noticed for a while, I've just run out of patience with the excuses. Maybe I'll merge a bunch that look fine by hand just out of spite this weekend. Depends on what all winds up on the "honey-do" list.
      The hal example people without back to do it full time attempted what you are suggesting as well. Remember without being in a position to take up the X11 org maintainer place for the job there is a big risk that you will get no distribution support either. Making sure what you have done is right is more than testing on 1 computer as well.

The maintainer of something like x.org, Wine, libreoffice having a company behind them gives them access to company staff to pass particular issues off on.

The job is open of the maintainer role if anyone wants to take it. Of course being able to take it means making sure you have enough resources to-do the job as well. Best of luck if you wish to attempt it.

Comment

Still not understanding why they don't merge the open pull requests, ship Xorg 21.tombstone, and wash their hands of it.
        Who do you mean when you say "they"? Because that's the problem, there is no "they". Xorg is functionally dead, nobody cares about it enough to do the work.

Comment

Oh sweet, they managed to squeeze it into Ubuntu 21.04! https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hi...ch/011516.html

Comment

Still not understanding why they don't merge the open pull requests, ship Xorg 21.tombstone, and wash their hands of it. Stop hiding behind "maintenance," you've well proven you aren't maintaining anything other than xwayland, Nothing else has seen a bugfix in 3 months.
            There are good open PRs fixing valid issues with clear steps to reproduce getting the silent treatment.
            No one wants to bother merging PRs for a dead project, no one wants to tag a release only to have to support that mess for more years to come.

The position is open, take over if you want
            Last edited by Alexmitter; 18 March 2021, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

No one wants to bother merging PRs for a dead project, no one wants to tag a release only to have to support that mess for more years to come.
              It's unsupported as is. Bugfixes go in, releases never come out.

Comment

Then let it rot, as it should be.

Comment

Step up as the maintainer if you want to see a release.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    The reality when you look at allocated resources x.org X11 on bare metal is dead and is currently a walking zombie with bits slowly but surely falling of it. ...
                    The X11 on bare metal ceasing to exist is basically the writing on the wall at this point that is going to happen with absolutely nothing that says this path is going to change.
                    There is another way to look at this horror movie: Mostly everyone still uses the zombie and the replacement is a stillborn, which regular people avoid, since it is not functionally equivalent, provides little real-life benefit, and their hardware is not supported (nvidia).

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                      Also, I'm a huge fan of xrdp. I was just about to put some into production. Is GNOME planning on having an RDP backend for remote access like Weston does?
                      Already supported via gnome-remote-desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X