XWayland 21.1 Release Candidate Offers Split From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Obviously we cannot read each others minds. Only the text that we (you) write. So take more care in writing out your exact thoughts and don't use vague language.

I think the "differences" mentioned in the article referred to problems arising from the app using library version A and themes being designed for version B. This usually happens when a feature is added in a later version, the theme is then designed for this version and feature, but the app is bundling an older version and the feature doesn't exist. Someone actually already pointed out this problem in this thread earlier.

Another example might be dynamically generated theming, which is AFAIK what KDE does in order to adapt GTK apps. Change some color setting in KDE and it will regenerate the GTK stylesheets etc. This might not be possible on Flatpak. I already pointed out myself that Flatpak can only break things, it cannot fix things.
    This is getting tiresome. Let's agree to disagree: in your opinion, "Flatpak can only break things, it cannot fix things." In my opinion (and on my system), flatpak fixes some theming things. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by mppix View Post
      This is getting tiresome. Let's agree to disagree: in your opinion, "Flatpak can only break things, it cannot fix things." In my opinion (and on my system), flatpak fixes some theming things. Cheers.
      I would not say flatpak fixes theming problems. More provided a decent mask over the defect. XDG portals stuff does help some of the common dialogs on the same themes by using the same dialogs.

Proper fix to theme problem required work like XDG portals and somehow creating a proper shared theme define at least for some bits. Like really why do we need 200+ different ways of defining how a windows boarder looks(I am not kidding with that 200+) that is what X11 WM give us.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        I would not say flatpak fixes theming problems. More provided a decent mask over the defect. XDG portals stuff does help some of the common dialogs on the same themes by using the same dialogs.

Proper fix to theme problem required work like XDG portals and somehow creating a proper shared theme define at least for some bits. Like really why do we need 200+ different ways of defining how a windows boarder looks(I am not kidding with that 200+) that is what X11 WM give us.
        My claim is that flatpak fixes _some_ things that you confirm in your first paragraph.

I understand what you are saying in the second paragraph. However, I do not hold my breath. I'm not even sure what a "proper shared theme" can accomplish since e.g. Gnome and KDE apps have vastly different UI guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by mppix View Post
          I understand what you are saying in the second paragraph. However, I do not hold my breath. I'm not even sure what a "proper shared theme" can accomplish since e.g. Gnome and KDE apps have vastly different UI guidelines.
          Yes fixing up theming in a large way could be done without aligned UI guidelines. Fixing up accessibility to give a more uniform interface would require making a unified UI guidelines. Yes fight from hell.

Comment

Working...
          X