Taiwins Wayland Compositor Switches From WLROOTS To Its Own Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The author of the project and me apparently.
    Good, but Wayland compositors don't need to. Nvidia is DOA and is a waste of everyone's time. Those who care about it can stick to frozen X11.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Hmm, interesting point of view. As for me, I'm still waiting for a simple window manager like setup. Currently running wayfire in a pretty stripped down setup without all the effects.
      As far as I'm concerned, there aren't enough compositors.
      If wayland lost much of X11 baggage, then we can hope it will be lightweight, no? For people that wants it leaner, I think it will be more efficient if there's just 1 compositor with good API and is modular. So we can toggle/ compile components suited for our needs.

We have too much wayland --and-- compositor (KWin, Mutter, Weston, Lipstick, Enlightenment, Clayland, Westeros, Wlroots, Taiwins, Wayfire, Sway) vs one X11.

Why must most DM out there must create their own compositor? Why not just one compositor to rule them all? --ahem. So each DM devs just need to use the API. Easy, Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        scottishduck you can say the entire linux environment is a mess with so many different ways to implement the same things. well thats the "pros" of opensource i guess.
        I'm glad you quote "pros" there. I really see this as the biggest weakness of Linux and open source in general. It isn't that options are bad, the problem is that if you have too many developer skill gets spread too thin. This is why the kernel development has worked out so well, we don't have dozens of competing kernels being worked on. Kernel developers are only focused really on two paths Linux and BSD. Contrast that with GUI support, I don't even think I can count all of the options for X and Wayland as I'd certainly would leave out one or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Let me guess: this is going to be the next controversial name topic as "Taiwin" sounds an awful lot like "Taiwan", which has a politically controversial status?

(just for the record: I'm not in favor of renaming it, I'm just saying that some people might be)
          there's no relevance with the project, the headline, or anything. if you care about 'code over "politics"', why do you feel forced to bring it up? are you expecting any positive consequences, as opposed to either wasting everyone's time, or stirring flamewars?

every single time i peek at the comments on this forums i'm always baffled by how predictable it gets
          Last edited by AsuMagic; 31 January 2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

This is about Linux, and you know the trend. Nvidia is done for. So go back to your blob slumber.
            Nvidia is still king when it comes to Linux market share for gamers though.
            Yes, AMD is trending, but it will be a good while before most users upgrade their hardware and that's without even considering Windows users making the switch in the near future. What if 2 gens from now AMD ends up in another lackluster scenario with Radeon and people stock up on Nvidia?

For the record, I think Nvidia's approach to dealing with Wayland, GBM and XWayland, among other things including framebuffer support etc, is completely ridiculous, but that's not to say we shouldn't maintain support for it. Not everyone can be as picky with their hardware and asking newcomers to just upgrade their hardware so as to use Linux is somewhat sad.

I know you frequent /r/linux_gaming and gamingonlinux so I won't bother linking to the Steam surver stats, GOL's latest hw stats look like 55.46 Nvidia / 50.77 Radion / 3.76 Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

Nvidia is still king when it comes to Linux market share for gamers though.
              Yes, AMD is trending, but it will be a good while before most users upgrade their hardware and that's without even considering Windows users making the switch in the near future. What if 2 gens from now AMD ends up in another lackluster scenario with Radeon and people stock up on Nvidia?

For the record, I think Nvidia's approach to dealing with Wayland, GBM and XWayland, among other things including framebuffer support etc, is completely ridiculous, but that's not to say we shouldn't maintain support for it. Not everyone can be as picky with their hardware and asking newcomers to just upgrade their hardware so as to use Linux is somewhat sad.
              Well, the trend reflects two things in particular.

1. Quality and range of AMD hardware caught up to Nvidia. This isn't Linux specific, so growth of AMD will be also observed on Windows.
              2. Quality of AMD driver stack surpassed Nvidia on Linux in every aspect that relates to gaming and Linux desktop experience in general.

I don't expect these two to change any time soon. So the trend is long term and Nvidia will become the minority among Linux users. I think the only reason for some to use Nvidia in the future would be CUDA for those who are stuck with it because of lock-in.

It's true that currently Nvidia is still the majority even on Linux, but it won't remain so for long. So I'd say Wayland compositor developers don't need to waste time on it if it requires going out of the way for them because of Nvidia's lack of upstreaming quirks, and I support the approach of Sway regarding the blob.
              Last edited by shmerl; 31 January 2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

It's a bit odd with the link to taiwin.org, is it just me or is that down? I can't even get Google cached version to load for that domain for some reason. (EDIT: I might have missed an s, didn't help with Vistaus calling it Taiwin instead of Taiwins either ha, though I'm sure I checked via the article link and google results that showed it as down).

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I bet this was done because the developer of WlRoots refused to support NVIDIA...
                Kinda not going to be an issue with the Vulkan support once that arrives as an alternative to EGLStreams? Assuming it'd be supported since it wouldn't be nvidia specific (then again EGLStreams isn't either afaik, but one can hope..).

Let me guess: this is going to be the next controversial name topic as "Taiwin" sounds an awful lot like "Taiwan", which has a politically controversial status?
                Tywin Lannister is what came to mind when I saw it especially with the switch from WLRoots, "The lannisters send their regards" ahaha..

Taiwin is fine, no need to make a fuss over the name.
                Last edited by polarathene; 31 January 2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I for one, welcome new and interesting software.

...Although it doesn't build on my machine yet, something to do with meson ctypes not being configured correctly.

Comment

(just for the record: I'm not in favor of renaming it, I'm just saying that some people might be)
                    I mean, the place clearly exists; if there is political controversy it is the result of motivated reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

If wayland lost much of X11 baggage, then we can hope it will be lightweight, no? For people that wants it leaner, I think it will be more efficient if there's just 1 compositor with good API and is modular. So we can toggle/ compile components suited for our needs.

We have too much wayland --and-- compositor (KWin, Mutter, Weston, Lipstick, Enlightenment, Clayland, Westeros, Wlroots, Taiwins, Wayfire, Sway) vs one X11.

Why must most DM out there must create their own compositor? Why not just one compositor to rule them all? --ahem. So each DM devs just need to use the API. Easy, Simple.
                      Sorry dude, you got it all wrong. With X11 you have a window manager, a compositor (which are not necessarily the same piece of software) AND the X.org server which by the way does nothing than routing from and to the former two, adding latency.

With wayland you just have one piece which does it all. And you can even choose: Curvy with love handles (mutter) or lean and light (sway/wlroots) or something entirely different (add compositor here).

Comment

Working...
                      X