X.Org vs. Wayland Browser Performance With Firefox + Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I'm positive for sure. Most of the major distro's seem to have mitigated input lag somewhat by implementing (cgroup) rules to give Wayland maximum CPU under load conditions. But that's not a fix. That doesn't fix the input lag. It just brute forces past it.
    if it can be fixed by just raising priority, certainly any issue you encounter or imagine is not in the protocol, but in implementation

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Most users are happy with X11
      most users don't use x11, because x11 is not used in android

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Wayland - after 12 years of development, performs better than x11 after 33 years of development. That's quite a ringing endorsement.
        ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          I hope they bring a great product, not for using that but to put some presure in others
          you sound desperate
          , I back to firefox after years with chrome this week I'm happy but the lack of video acc in 2020 linux desktop is a problem for some webapps and content.
          i did setup video acceleration on amd mesa driver and chromium some time ago(not sure whether in current fedora or earlier) on one of machines, so linux certainly does have video acc. not enabled by default an not on all hardware
          I will wait until Wayland have a good experience (not now at all) for vaapi support even if is only h264
          btw i'm sure that mentioned machine is running wayland as fedora's default, but it's also running chromium via xwayland, so i don't know whether acceleration will work natively on wayland, but again wayland is good experience for h264 for some time already after some setup
          Last edited by pal666; 10 April 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

We don't need luck. Despite all rumours about X11's demise have users not given up using it.
            despite all rumours about wayland's non-readiness have users not given up using it.
            So what did Wayland do wrong when it set out to replace it and still hasn't done so?
            wayland didn't set out to replace x11 for every moron from internet. it set out to replace x11 as project on which all x11 devs work(and in that it absolutely succeeded long ago). it's already used by default on modern distros. it's in smartphones since 2013. i'm sure there are still some windows95 users and you sound just like them
            Unless you stop dreaming and connect to reality to face the facts will Wayland stay more dead than X11 ever was.
            unless you go back to your meds you will continue confusing "enabled by default" with "dead"
            Last edited by pal666; 10 April 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I've just spent two hours playing with Wayland. The only usable environments for it are Gnome and KDE. If you don't like them, Wayland is 100% unusable for any serious desktop use.

For me personally the only sane desktop environment for Linux in 2020 is XFCE but it doesn't support Wayland in any shape or form. Even xfce4-panel doesn't start under it. In the past I loved KDE3 but KDE5 IMO is an abomination.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                lol, you constantly bash wayland because it's not ready and when wayland wins you move goalposts
                It seems that Systemd Derangement Syndrome is on its way out but Wayland Derangement Syndrome (WDS) is ready to take its place.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  Ubuntu? Arch? Manjaro? Nice try, but Ubuntu doesn't use Wayland by default, same goes for Manjaro and, due to its nature, Arch lets the user choose whether he/she wants Wayland or not.
                  I stand corrected, it is not default but 2 clicks (Ubuntu) or 1 environmental variable (Manjaro) away.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

It doesn't. Worse it just creates a whole new set of issues.

It's the usual lets create something new and shiny to replace the old, but learn nothing from the past and make all kinds of stupid design decisions.
                    If you bothered to read the Wayland design papers you would see how much they have learned from the past... mistakes. And since Wayland is the brainchild of Xorg developers, I trust them to know what they are talking about, specifically more than I would trust you.

Generally and predictably the Wayland flames all boil down to three things:

1. X has been around for a long time so its detractors obviously don't understand it and should "improve" upon it rather than building something else (presumably the Wright brothers should have worked to "improve" the hot air balloon and Microsoft should have stuck to improving MS-DOS rather than developing NT).

2. X lets me run XLoad remotely over the network and anyone who thinks that there is more to 2020 desktop computing than that is a "kid".

3. Whaaaa waaaahaaaa uneeeex pheeelosopheeeeee.

[EDIT: I forgot, there is a fourth one:]

4. Wayland is Linux-only, how dare they? The BSD world never ever contributed anything to the FOSS desktop efforts and always insisted how much they despised the whole concept, but God forbid anyone does anything without giving them a free ride.
                    Last edited by jacob; 10 April 2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

If you bothered to read the Wayland design papers you would see how much they have learned from the past... mistakes. And since Wayland is the brainchild of Xorg developers, I trust them to know what they are talking about, specifically more than I would trust you.

Generally and predictably the Wayland flames all boil down to three things:

1. X has been around for a long time so its detractors obviously don't understand it and should "improve" upon it rather than building something else (presumably the Wright brothers should have worked to "improve" the hot air balloon and Microsoft should have stuck to improving MS-DOS rather than developing NT).

2. X lets me run XLoad remotely over the network and anyone who thinks that there is more to 2020 desktop computing than that is a "kid".

3. Whaaaa waaaahaaaa uneeeex pheeelosopheeeeee.

[EDIT: I forgot, there is a fourth one:]

4. Wayland is Linux-only, how dare they? The BSD world never ever contributed anything to the FOSS desktop efforts and always insisted how much they despised the whole concept, but God forbid anyone does anything without giving them a free ride.
                      Yeah, really

Comment

Working...
                      X