No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 6.0 Compositor Released With New Remoting/Streaming Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 6.0 Compositor Released With New Remoting/Streaming Plug-In

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 6.0 Compositor Released With New Remoting/Streaming Plug-In

Last week marked the release of Wayland 1.17 but at the time the Weston compositor update wasn't ready to ship, but overnight it has now set sail. Weston 6.0 is the latest Wayland reference compositor release with many improvements over its predecessor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything you would like to see supported in Weston?

Maybe:
    • Could have a show/hide desktop toggle button.
    • Be able to configure dock to be top/bottom/left/right position.
    • List of running applications in the dock (taskbar).
    • Minimize application to dock.
    Last edited by uid313; 28 March 2019, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Anything you would like to see supported in Weston?
      I want to see:

• SSD (Server-Side Decorations) support for Wayland windows.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Anything you would like to see fixed in Weston?
        There is an old bug in weston-terminal: It doesn't append to the scrollback buffer if you have scrolled up. Instead, it overwrites the area you're looking at. Output salad, I call it, and it means I can't – I mean mustn't – use weston-terminal for long-running tasks like compilation.
        Last edited by andreano; 28 March 2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I want to see:

• SSD (Server-Side Decorations) support for Wayland windows.
          CSD is part of the Wayland specification, Weston is supposed to be an example of said spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

CSD is part of the Wayland specification, Weston is supposed to be an example of said spec.
            SSD is also part of the Wayland spec, in the form of the XDG-Decoration protocol.

Plus Weston *does* support decorations for XWayland applications, so there is no valid reason for the lack of support under Wayland apps.

Of course, they surely had to make it unstable to encourage usage of CSD... See? This is when I am prompted to say "Wayland is by GNOME, for GNOME".
            Last edited by tildearrow; 28 March 2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

SSD is also part of the Wayland spec, in the form of the XDG-Decoration protocol.

Plus Weston *does* support decorations for XWayland applications, so there is no valid reason for the lack of support under Wayland apps.

Of course, they surely had to make it unstable to encourage usage of CSD... See? This is when I am prompted to say "Wayland is by GNOME, for GNOME".
              The client can (if it wants to) ask the compositor if it supports SSDs, if it doesn't then it MUST support CSD to be complaint to the Wayland spec.

Wayland is not a window manager.

It's a shame KDE is the last DE across all operating systems to not support CSDs, even though they're required by Wayland (and QT too).
              Last edited by Britoid; 28 March 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

There is an old bug in weston-terminal: It doesn't append to the scrollback buffer if you have scrolled up. Instead, it overwrites the area you're looking at. Output salad, I call it, and it means I can't – I mean mustn't – use weston-terminal for long-running tasks like compilation.
                do you happen to know if there's an issue opened for this bug? I just reproduced successfully the bug.

Comment

The client can (if it wants to) ask the compositor if it supports SSDs, if it doesn't then it MUST support CSD to be complaint to the Wayland spec.
                  What a disaster. OK, here is how it should really be done:

The client tells the compositor whether it is willing to draw its own title bar (CSD) or not. If it does not, the compositor shall draw a title bar for the client (SSD). Yes, I know the compositor can do that, because they can do it for XWayland apps.

Wayland is not a window manager.

It's a shame KDE is the last DE across all operating systems to not support CSDs, even though they're required by Wayland (and QT too).
                  The actual problem with Wayland's version of CSD is that it also requires the client to handle movement/resizing and even draw its own shadow! So you won't have any global control about drop shadows, which sucks.

By the way, Qt's default Wayland title bar is horrible, and looks like it's only for prototyping (this may have changed though).
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 29 March 2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post

do you happen to know if there's an issue opened for this bug? I just reproduced successfully the bug.
                    No, but it's on Wikipedia. This bug has been known to me since about 2014, when I started using Weston because startx stopped working.

Comment

Working...
                    X